1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Using Cauchy's Formula

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D be a simply connected region in C (complex domain) and let C be a simple closed curve contained in D. Let f(z) be analytic in D. Suppose that z0 is a point which is not enclosed by C. What is 1/(2πi)∫f(z)/(z-z0)dz?

2. Relevant equations
    Cauchy's formula: f(z0) = 1/(2πi)∫f(z)/(z-z0)dz

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a gut feeling that since z0 is not in enclosed by C, it is also not part of D. Since f(z) is analytic in D, this somehow means that f(z) = 0 outside of D so f(z0) = 0. I know I'm missing a lot of connections and mathematical reasoning, but this is a guess I have because I don't actually know how to show it mathematically. Help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What f does outside of D is unknown, so irrelevant.
    C is contained in D; z0 is in D but outside C. Are you perhaps confused by the use of C at the start of the question as a reference to the complex plane? Everywhere else it is referring to a closed curve inside D.
    For Cauchy's integral formula to apply, what would be the relationship between z0 and the path of the integral?

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The whole point of this question is that the integral of an function, analytic inside a given closed curve, around that closed curve, is 0. Did you not know that?

The proof is fairly simple: any analytic function, pretty much by definition, can be written as a Taylor's series. If you integrate term by term, the integral of [itex](z- a)^n[/itex] about a closed curve containing a, is equivalent to integration around a circle with center at a and that is 0:
    Let [tex]z= a+ Re^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\int_C (z- a)^n dz= \int_0^{2\pi} (Re^{i\theta})(iRe^{i\theta}d\theta)= iR^2\int_0^{2\pi} e^{2i\theta}d\theta= \left[(R^2/2)e^{2i\theta}\right]_0^{2\pi}= 0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted