1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Using Def. of Groups

1. Oct 9, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Proof Using Def. of Groups

Hello,

This is my question:

Let G be a group.

i) Let x and y be elements of G. Prove that (xy)2 = x2y2 iff xy = yx. (Hint: Use the definition g2 = gg).

ii) Using part (i) prove that if g2 = u (the unit element) for all g which is an element of G, then G is abelian.

Now I BELIEVE that I have properly proved the part (i) of the question. But I am not sure how to proceed with part (ii). In fact, the second part question makes me wonder if I did part (i) correctly.

I know that the definition of abelian is:

For every x and y which are elements of G, a group G with the property x o y = y o x is called abelian ( or commutative). To rephrase, I would think this is the same as F(y,x) = F(x,y).

Now I am not sure what the definition would be in context of the question. Is the question saying,

Is that the proposition that I am supposed to prove? And if that is the case, I am still not sure how to use the nfo g2 = u. How does it apply to the relation in part (i)?

In the case of part (i) would this be it?

x o y = x2y2. Then

x o u = x = u o x --> x2 * u = x = u * x2? (In which case 1 would be the identity element. Correct?).

Any help/clarification is appreciated. Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

Consider the product fg, where f and g are both in G. Since the group is closed, fg is also in g. We then must have, according to the info they gave (gg=u):

(fg)(fg)=u

Right multiply by gf:

(fg)(fg)(gf)=u(gf)

Can you take it from there?

That should be (x o y)o(x o y)=(x o x)o(y o y).

4. Oct 9, 2003 #3
    Right. Then if f and g are elements of G then by definition of a group, f o g is an element of G.
    Where u is an element of G by definition of a group and also by the aforementioned property. Correct?
    Yes. I can see it now. Perhaps you did too much in this step.
    OH! That helps! It's like a composition function right? For instance,

q = F(y,x) = x * y and
    G(q)= G (F(y,x)) = q * q = F(y,x) * F(y,x) = (x*y)*(x*y).

This would be the same for the right side of the equation yes?

I will be back later and post the proof.

Thankyou Tom.

5. Oct 9, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes; the group must have an identity element.

Right.

In the language of your function F(x,y), you have:

F(x,y) o F(x,y)=F(x,x) o F(y,y)

6. Oct 9, 2003 #5
    Right.Right. My mistake. Thanks alot Tom. Your help has been great increasing my understanding of the subject.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?