1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using dot product?

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If |A+B|^2=|A|^2+|B|^2, prove that A is perpendicular to B.

2. Relevant equations

A^2=|A||A|

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think of to do is expand the equation to get (A.B)(A.B)=A.A+B.B. I know that iff a.b=0, the two are perpendicular but I can't figure out how to show that because I don't really even understand what the question is asking. I'm in desperate need of some help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

As said before, start with the LHS, not the RHS. Your approach uses the RHS. What is another way of writing |A+B|^2 using the dot product?

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    Does it involve taking the square root of both sides?

5. Aug 26, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Nope, not at all.

6. Aug 26, 2008 #5
    Yes, I just tried it and it was definitely the wrong idea. When you say I need to begin with the LHS, though, do you mean I need to write it out like (A.B)(A.B) to obtain 2AB? If that's not it, could you give me a hint to get me going in the right direction?

7. Aug 26, 2008 #6
    Wait, 2AB is the wrong thing, I looked at the something else I'd written down that looked similar. The dot product there would be 2A+2B, right?

8. Aug 26, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well I gave you a hint in the other thread. This is the third thread with the same question. You ought to stick to one thread and certainly only one forum. [tex]|A|^2 = \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex]

9. Aug 26, 2008 #8

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

|A+B|^2 is NOT equal to (A.B)^2.

Try letting C = A+B. Then what is |C|^2?

10. Aug 26, 2008 #9
    oh, whoops, I messed that last thing up entirely. I'm way too tired, this prof gave way too much homework tonight. I didn't think to use a third variable, that seems like a good idea. defennder, you said to begin with the LHS so I thought that |A|^2=A.A wouldn't yet be relevant.

also, defennder: someone moved my first post to a different forum, so I couldn't find it and reposted it in another one. then I had so many questions in the thread that I thought it'd be less intimidating and I'd get more answers if I asked just the one question. sorry! patience is a virtue god failed to give me. =)

11. Aug 26, 2008 #10
    I keep coming back to the fact that 0=2AB. I'm not sure if this has any significance, but if I multiply out |A+B|^2 I get A^2+2AB+B^2, and if I set that equal to the RHS and simplify, I get 2AB=0.

12. Aug 26, 2008 #11
    no, that seems like it would prove the two are NOT perpendicular. why is this so hard for me????

13. Aug 26, 2008 #12
    actually, it was the right train of thought, am I right that 2(A.B)=0 is significant?

14. Aug 26, 2008 #13

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. What does it mean if the dot product between two vectors is zero?

15. Aug 26, 2008 #14
    that they are perpendicular!! I think I've finally got a viable proof--thank you both so much for your help! now it is off to bed for a couple hours before class starts... good night!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?