1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using interiors

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1
    A friend gave me this to prove as part of an ongoing "game." I'm having a serious amount of difficulty with it, and I don't know what I need to do.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Prove the following:
    If ##U\subset\mathbb{R}^n## is open, ##A\subset U## is homeomorphic to ##S^{n-1}##, and ##\varphi:U\to\mathbb{R}^n## is a continuous bijection from ##U## to ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then ##\varphi(\operatorname{int} A)=\operatorname{int} \varphi(A)##."

2. Relevant [strike]equations[/strike] lemma
    My friend said that I "might" need to know that "if ##B\subset\mathbb{R}^n## is homeomorphic to ##D^n=\left\{x\in\mathbb{R}^n : |x|\leq 1\right\}##, then ##\mathbb{R}^n\setminus B## is connected."

Here, the ##|x|## means ##\displaystyle \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2}##.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm ashamed to say that I don't know where to start on this one. From the lemma that I "might" need, I know that ##\mathbb{R}^n\setminus \operatorname{int} A## is connected, but I don't know what this implies or how this gets me anywhere.

I'm really confused. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a bit confused, A is a codimension 1 submanifold of Rn so has no interior.

4. Jul 28, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Use invariance of domain.

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4
    So, by invariance of domain, we know that, since ##\operatorname{int} A## is open, then ##\varphi(\operatorname{int} A)## is also open, right? I also know that ##\operatorname{int} \varphi(A)## is open. This is at least something, but I don't know where this goes. Could you please give another hint?

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Prove that if ##\varphi## is a homeomorphism, then for each set ##B## holds that ##int \varphi(B) = \varphi(int(B))##.

7. Jul 29, 2013 #6
    I'm sorry. I knew that comes next because ##\varphi## being a homeomorphism follows from invariance of domain. I should have said that I don't know what property of a homeomorphism implies that equality. I think what I'm looking for can be stated in the form "[property] is conserved under homeomorphism," but I don't know. :confused:

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. Invariance of domain implies homeomorphisms between subsets of ##\mathbb{R}^n## map interior points of one subset to interior points of the other. The result follows from this. Thank you for your patience. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted