Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof Using Mean Value Theorem

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    Hello all

Using the Mean Value Theorem, prove that the derivative of the indefinite integral [itex] \int f(x) \ dx [/itex] is [itex] f(x) [/itex]

So do I just use the fact that [itex] \int^b_a f(x) \ dx = f(\xi)(b-a) [/itex]?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    is this right?

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You CAN'T use the mean value theorem to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4
    not prove but maybe show

6. Jan 27, 2005 #5
    hey... do you forget our rule here... don't give out the answer... delete the link and give him some hints lead to the answer

7. Jan 27, 2005 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes,you're right sorry about that.

8. Jan 27, 2005 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I believe your question should to prove that the derivative of this function:

[tex]F(x)=\int_a^{x} f(t)dt[/tex]

is f(x). Am I right? The above is a definite integral. The derivative of the indefinite integral is just f(x) by definition. Indefinite integral means anti-derivative.

What is F'(x) from first principles i.e: using the definition of derivative?

9. Jan 27, 2005 #8
    [tex] F'(x) = \frac{F(x+\Delta x) - F(x)}{\Delta x} [/tex]

forgot to put limit

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  10. Jan 27, 2005 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Careful... we're looking for F'(x) not f'(x).

11. Jan 27, 2005 #10
    is this right?

12. Jan 27, 2005 #11

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes. So now use the definition of F(x) in post #7, to plug in the approriate F(x) and F(x+deltax) into your derivative equation...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook