1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using Rule of Signs

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an ordered ring, show that
    If a>0, b>0, then a>b <--> (a^2)>(b^2).

Hint: [(b^2)-(a^2)] = (b-a)(b+a). Use Rule of Signs.

2. Relevant equations
    Rule of Signs????

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to use the hint and I'm having trouble with the proof, as this is my first proofs class.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    Since we know that both a and b must be positive value
    Therefore, if we take square root on both side of equation (a^2) > (b^2).
    it would make a > b always. Would this work?

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Are you asking me? That looks like it would work for me but I don't know if it is sufficient enough in "proof language."

Also, the hint isn't being used in your answer...

5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because this is "if and only if" you need to show two things:

1) If a> b then a2> b2. Since this is an ordered ring, the fact that a> b and a> 0 tells you that a*a> a*b (why?); now do the same with a> b and b> 0.

2) if a2> b2 then a> b. Okay, a2> b2 tells you that (a+ b)(a-b)> 0. What do the "signs" of a+ b and a- b have to be? I put "signs" in quotes because you cannot just assume facts from real numbers. You are working in an arbitrary ordered ring and you have to use the axioms and definitions for an order ring. In particular, a is "positive" if and only if a> 0. Since you are given that a> 0 and b>0, can you show that a+b> 0? What does that tell you about a- b?

6. Sep 9, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the 'rule of signs' just means positive*negative=negative. (b-a)<0 and (b+a)>0. So (b-a)*(b+a)<0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?