Proof using taylor series

In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor series to prove the equation \frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} \approx \frac{1}{h^2}[\Psi (x+h) - 2\Psi(x) + \Psi (x-h)] and how to manipulate it to get it in the required form. It is suggested to use the average value on the interval to write it as a derivative. The second part discusses finding the highest valued term representing the error in this approximation.
thenewbosco
I am supposed to prove using taylor series the following:

[tex]\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} \approx \frac{1}{h^2}[\Psi (x+h) - 2\Psi(x) + \Psi (x-h)][/tex] where x is the point where the derivative is evaluated and h is a small quantity.

what i have done is used:
[itex] f(x+h)= f(x) + f'(x) h + f''(x)\frac{h^2}{2!}+...[/itex]

and solved so that

[tex]f''(x)=\frac{2}{h^2}[f(x+h) - f(x) - f'(x) h][/tex]

i am not sure how to get this into the required form..
I noticed that solving the given equation for [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] gives a term that looks like [tex]\frac{\Psi(x+h) + \Psi(x-h)}{2}[/tex] i.e. average value on the interval, can this be somehow used to write as a derivative or something?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should be clearer about what you mean by "[itex]\approx[/itex]". Once you sort that out, write out the first few terms of the Taylor series for f(x), f(x+h), f(x-h). Now can you find a linear combination of these expressions such that the coefficient of f(x) and f'(x) is zero, while that of f''(x) is 1?

If you don't care about deriving the identity, only verifiying it, then just plug in the first few terms of the taylor series into the RHS of the first expression.

i have proven this but the second part says, find the highest valued term representing the error in this.

i do not understand what this refers to or what this means, any clarification?

When you plug in the taylor series to that approximation of f''(x), there will be extra terms that don't cancel. What is the smallest power of h left over? (this will be the biggest error term, since h is very small)

1. What is the Taylor series and how is it used?

The Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, which are calculated using the function's derivatives at a specific point. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a point, and can be used to solve equations and prove identities.

2. How is the Taylor series derived?

The Taylor series is derived using the Taylor polynomial, which is a polynomial approximation of a function at a specific point. The coefficients of the polynomial are calculated using the function's derivatives at that point, and as the degree of the polynomial increases, the approximation becomes more accurate.

3. What are the applications of the Taylor series in science and engineering?

The Taylor series has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in calculus to solve differential equations and approximate solutions to problems. It is also used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and analyze systems and phenomena.

4. Can the Taylor series be used to prove mathematical theorems?

Yes, the Taylor series can be used to prove mathematical theorems, as it provides a way to approximate and analyze functions. It is commonly used in calculus and analysis to prove identities, inequalities, and convergence of series.

5. What are the limitations of using the Taylor series?

The Taylor series is an infinite series, so it can only provide an approximation of a function within a certain interval. If the function is not well-behaved or has singularities within that interval, the Taylor series may not provide an accurate approximation. It also requires knowledge of the function's derivatives, which may be difficult to obtain in some cases.