Convergence Proof for Continuous Functions with Second Derivative at Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the convergence of a series involving a continuous function on an interval around 0, where an=f(1/n) for large enough n. It is stated that if f''(0) exists and f'(0)=f(0)=0, then the series converges. The conversation also mentions that a previous proof showed that if the series converges, then f(0)=0 and if f'(0) exists and the series converges, then f'(0)=0. The discussion then explores different approaches to prove the convergence, including using the zero test and the comparison test. It is suggested to work towards a comparison test by considering f(1/n)/(1/n) as f
ptolema

Homework Statement

let f be a continuous function on an interval around 0, and let an=f(1/n) (for large enough n). prove that if f''(0) exists and f'(0)=f(0)=0, then
conv-1.jpg
converges

Homework Equations

i proved earlier in the problem that if the series converges, f(0)=0, and if f'(0) exists and the series converges, then f'(0)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

not really sure how to approach this. don't know if a convergence test should be used, but i know that lim n->infinity an=0 (zero test is inconclusive). what should i do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so you know
f(0) = 0

f'(0) = lim x->0, f(x)/x = 0

f''(0) = lim x->0, f'(x)/x = a

the 2nd line shows, f(x) tends to zero faster than x...

i'm not really sure how that helps. that takes me back to the result of the zero test, and the fact that f'(0)=0, which i already proved. how does that pertain to the series.

how about working towards a comparison test...? as f(x)/x tends to zero, near 0, maybe you can do something with f(1/n)/(1/n)

1. What is "Proof with convergence"?

"Proof with convergence" is a method used in mathematical proofs to show that a sequence of numbers or functions approaches a specific value or limit. This technique involves using the properties of limits and mathematical operations to demonstrate that the sequence converges to the desired value.

2. How is "Proof with convergence" different from other proof techniques?

Unlike other proof techniques that rely on logical deductions and assumptions, "Proof with convergence" uses mathematical operations and theorems to show that a sequence approaches a limit. This makes it a more rigorous and precise method of proof.

3. What are the key components of a "Proof with convergence"?

A "Proof with convergence" typically involves identifying the sequence or function, stating the desired limit, and using the definition of a limit and relevant theorems to show that the sequence converges to the desired limit. It may also include intermediate steps and explanations to support the proof.

4. What are the most common applications of "Proof with convergence"?

"Proof with convergence" is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and number theory. It is also frequently used in physics and engineering to prove the convergence of numerical methods and algorithms.

5. What are the challenges of using "Proof with convergence"?

One of the main challenges of using "Proof with convergence" is identifying the appropriate sequence or function and selecting the most suitable theorems and techniques to use in the proof. It also requires a strong understanding of limits and mathematical operations, which can be challenging for some individuals.