Can the Mean Value Theorem be Used to Prove Inequalities for Natural Numbers?

• Thread starter Johnny Blade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the problem involves proving the inequality 1/(x+1) < ln(x+1) - ln(x) < 1/x for all natural numbers. The mean value theorem was initially attempted but did not lead to a solution. The suggestion to rewrite ln(x+1) - ln(x) as ln((x+1)/x) was made and it was noted that proof by induction would be appropriate. However, taking advantage of the section hint, it was shown that the problem can be reduced to showing 1/(x+1) < 1/(x+t) < 1/x for any 0 < t < 1. The original proof using the mean value theorem was successful, and it can be
Johnny Blade

Homework Statement

I need to prove the following for all natural numbers:

1/(x+1) < ln(x+1) - ln(x) < 1/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's in the part of the mean value theorem problems, I try using it didn't go any where. I tried thinking of other ways, but nothing seems to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is write ln(x+1)- ln(x) as ln((x+1)/x). Are you saying that x must be a positive integer? Then I would assume that you should use proof by induction, not the mean value theorem!

Induction would work nicely, but taking advantage of your section hint try
log(x+1)-log(x)=[log(x+1)-log(x)]/[(x+1)-x]=log'(x+t)=1/(x+t)
where t is some number such that 0<t<1
so the problem is reduced to showing that
when ever 0<t<1
1/(x+1)<1/(x+t)<1/(x+0)

I got it with the mean value theorem, but because that's for all real numbers, can I say it's true for natural numbers too because it is a subset of the real numbers? Thanks for the help.

1. What is an inequation?

An inequation is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using an inequality symbol, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. For example, 2x + 3 < 10 is an inequation.

2. How is an inequation different from an equation?

An inequation uses inequality symbols to compare two quantities, while an equation uses an equal sign to state that two quantities are equal. Inequations also have an infinite number of solutions, while equations often have a finite number of solutions.

3. What is the process for solving an inequation?

The process for solving an inequation is similar to solving an equation. You must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and keep the other terms on the other side. The only difference is that when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the inequality symbol must be flipped. For example, if you have -5x < 15, when dividing by -5, the inequality becomes >, resulting in x > -3.

4. How do you graph an inequation?

To graph an inequation, you first need to solve it and find the solutions. Then, you can plot the solutions on a number line and shade the region that satisfies the inequality. If the inequality symbol is < or >, the circle at the end of the shaded region should be open. If the inequality symbol is ≤ or ≥, the circle should be closed.

5. What are some real-world applications of inequations?

Inequations are used in many real-world scenarios, such as budgeting, profit analysis, and resource allocation. For example, a company may use inequations to determine the minimum number of products they need to sell to make a profit, or a government may use them to allocate resources to different regions based on population or need.