1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof with supremum.

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

let A,B be nonempty sets of real numbers, prove that:
    if A,B are bounded and they are disjoint, then supA doesnt equal supB.

here's my proof:
    assume that supA=supB=c
    then for every a in A a<=c and for every b in B b<=c.
    bacuse A.B are bounded then: for every e>0 there exists x in A such that
    c-e<x<=c and there exists y in B such that c-e<y<=c so we have two elements that are both in A and B, but this is a contradiction.
    is this proof valid?
    i feel that i should show that y=x, but i think bacuse e is as we choose, we have to find elements which are both in A and B.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the disjoint sets A=(a,b), B={b} ?
    supA = supB=b

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This does not follow from boundedness, it follows from the fact that c is the sup. If there was an e such that there is no element of A btw c and c-e, then it would means that c-e is an upper bound of A that is smaller than c. ==><==

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

thanks, im having troubles of finding counter examples.

6. Nov 3, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't true. Counter examples abound: take any interval like (0,1) and pick two disjoint dense subsets (there are uncountably many disjoint dense subsets so this can be done).

7. Nov 3, 2006 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

ok thanks.
    just to clear on other matters, am i right in saying that the following arent correct:
    if A is infinite set and doesnt have a minimum then it's not bounded, the simple counter example is the interval (0,1) it's infinite doesnt have a minimum but it's bounded.
    another statement is if A,B are bounded and supA=infB then the intersection has only one element.
    i found the next counter example, A=(0,1) B=(1,2) A and B are bounded and supA=infB, but they are disjoint.

8. Nov 3, 2006 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both look good.

9. Nov 14, 2006 #8
    "for every e>0 there exists x in A such that
    c-e<x<=c and there exists y in B such that c-e<y<=c so we have two elements that are both in A and B, but this is a contradiction."

Wrong conclusion ! Ok, for every e>0, there will be x in A and y in B such that c-e<x<=c and c-e<y<=c, but from this, we can not say anything about A and B contains the same elements.

Note that x and y depend on each e>0 (they "move" when e is changed), so you can not show x = y in anyway

10. Nov 14, 2006 #9
    "for every e>0 there exists x in A such that
    c-e<x<=c and there exists y in B such that c-e<y<=c so we have two elements that are both in A and B, but this is a contradiction."

Wrong conclusion ! Ok, for every e>0, there will be x in A and y in B such that c-e<x<=c and c-e<y<=c, but from this, we can not say anything about A and B contains the same elements.

Note that x and y depend on each e>0 (they "move" when e is changed), so you can not show x = y in anyway

11. Nov 14, 2006 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both are incorrect, as desired.

For the second, there are two good ways to make this true that I can see:
    * If sup A = inf B then the intersection has at most one element.
    * If sup A = inf B then the intersection of the closures has exactly one element.

12. Nov 15, 2006 #11
    what if A is strictly irrational and B is strictly rational, couldn't you use that to form a counter example?

13. Nov 17, 2006 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

* If sup A = inf B then the intersection has at most one element.

This holds in that case, since the intersection is empty.

* If sup A = inf B then the intersection of the closures has exactly one element.

This also holds. Sup A might not be in A; if it is in A, then inf B is not in B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook