1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: x is irrational => sqrt(x) is irrational

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    Ok so I am to prove: If x is irrational, then [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is irrational. So I started by trying to prove the contrapositive: If [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is rational, then x is rational.

So then [tex]\sqrt{x} = \frac{m}{n}[/tex] For integers m and n, n[tex]\neq[/tex]0

Then square both sides. [tex]x = \frac{m^2}{n^2}[/tex]

This is clearly rational because m^2 and n^2 are integers.

Now, is this a satisfactory proof? I am sure it is, it just seems as though it was too easy. Did my teacher ask it because it shows how proving the contrapositive can sometimes make life easy? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Yes, that's correct, and it is an easy proof. It boils down to this: Every square of a rational number is rational, and so these rational squares are the only numbers which have rational square roots.
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep! Ideally, when you're posed with the problem of proving a statement, looking at its contrapositive should become second nature! With luck, you'll get to the point where you barely even notice the difference between A→B and ~B→~A!
  5. Nov 5, 2010 #4
    Actually that is incorrect.
    The negation of "irrational" is simply "not irrational". For a number to be "not irrational" has 2 cases. The number must be either complex (including i) or rational. Thus your statement of what the contrapositive is is not logically equivalent. This proof must be done by contradiction not by contrapositive.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?