Proofs for recursive sets using induction

In summary, T* is a subset of ternary strings and is defined recursively. The basis is that 0 is in T* and the induction step states that if x and y are in T*, then x0y, 1x2, and 2x1 are also in T*. The goal is to prove that there is no string in T* with a specific number of zeros or digits, or a specific sum of digits. For part a), it is difficult to see the correlation between x0y and the number of zeros, but for b), it is suspected that the answer involves strings with odd-numbered digits. However, it is unclear how to formalize this idea. For part c), the connection between the
evanx
T* is a recursive definition, a subset of the family of ternary strings. Let T* be the smallest set such that:

BASIS: 0 is in T*
INDUCTION STEP: If x,y in T*, then so are x0y, 1x2 and 2 x1.

a) Prove that if k in N, then there is no string in T* with exactly [tex]3^k +1[/tex] zeros.
b) Prove that if k in N, then there is no string in T* that has exactly [tex] 2^(^k^+^1^) [/tex] digits.
c) Prove that there is no string in T* whose digits sum to 97.

I have started drawing combinations of elements in T* and am at a lost for the correlation about x0y and the zeros for a). As for b), I suspect that the answer has soemthing to do with any string being one with odd numbered digits since I can have x, x0y, ax0yb, etc. But I have no idea on how to formalise my suspicions. For part c), I fail to see the connection between the sum of T*'s digits and x,y.

Please help, I have wrecked my brains for a week over this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions?

a) To prove that there is no string in T* with exactly 3^k +1 zeros, we will use proof by induction on k.
Basis: For k = 0, there is only one string in T* with 3^k +1 zeros, which is the string "0". Therefore, the statement is true for k = 0.
Induction Step: Assume that for some k in N, there is no string in T* with exactly 3^k +1 zeros. We will prove that there is no string in T* with exactly 3^(k+1) +1 zeros.
Suppose there exists a string x in T* with exactly 3^(k+1) +1 zeros. Since x is in T*, it must have been formed by applying the induction step on some strings y and z in T*. This means that y0z, 1y2, and 2y1 are also in T*. However, the number of zeros in these strings is 3^k +2, which is not equal to 3^(k+1) +1. This contradicts our assumption that x has exactly 3^(k+1) +1 zeros. Therefore, there is no string in T* with exactly 3^(k+1) +1 zeros. By induction, we can conclude that there is no string in T* with exactly 3^k +1 zeros for any k in N.

b) To prove that there is no string in T* that has exactly 2^(k+1) digits, we will use proof by induction on k.
Basis: For k = 0, there is only one string in T* with 2^(k+1) digits, which is the string "0". Therefore, the statement is true for k = 0.
Induction Step: Assume that for some k in N, there is no string in T* with exactly 2^(k+1) digits. We will prove that there is no string in T* with exactly 2^(k+2) digits.
Suppose there exists a string x in T* with exactly 2^(k+2) digits. Since x is in T*, it must have been formed by applying the induction step on some strings y and z in T*. This means that y0z, 1y2, and 2y1 are

1. What is induction and how is it used in proving recursive sets?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. In the context of recursive sets, it is used to prove that a statement holds for all elements in the set by first proving it for the base case and then showing that if it holds for a particular element, it also holds for the next element.

2. What is the base case in a proof by induction for recursive sets?

The base case is the starting point of the induction, where we prove that the statement holds for the first element in the set. It is usually the simplest case, such as proving that the statement holds for the first natural number (0 or 1).

3. What is the induction hypothesis in a proof by induction for recursive sets?

The induction hypothesis is the assumption that the statement holds for a particular element in the set. It is used to prove that the statement holds for the next element in the set by showing that if it holds for the current element, it also holds for the next element.

4. How do you prove the inductive step in a proof by induction for recursive sets?

The inductive step involves showing that if the statement holds for a particular element, it also holds for the next element. This can be done by using the induction hypothesis and other mathematical techniques such as algebra or logic to show that the statement holds for the next element in the set.

5. Can induction be used to prove statements about all types of recursive sets?

Yes, induction can be used to prove statements about any type of recursive set, as long as the set can be defined in terms of a base case and a recursive step. This includes sets defined by mathematical functions, algorithms, and computer programs.