1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proofs involving real numbers

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let x [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ
    Prove that if 3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1≤x[itex]^{7}[/itex]+x[itex]^{3}[/itex], then x > 0

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume
    3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1≤x[itex]^{7}[/itex]+x[itex]^{3}[/itex]
    then 0 ≤ -3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]-1≤x[itex]^{7}[/itex]+x[itex]^{3}[/itex]
    Then I assumed that each was greater than or equal to 0, which I thought gave the desired result. No examples in the book to really guide me...any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    That can't be right, no matter what value x has.

You might want to think it like this instead: If x≤0, then x7+x3 is always smaller than 1+3x4. Why is this?

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Would it be because both powers of x are odd, which will mean it is always negative? So proving the contapositive would be an easier route than a direct proof?

5. Oct 16, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To be clearer, say what "it" refers to.

6. Oct 16, 2012 #5
    Still not entirely sure if I did it correctly....this class is giving me such a headache. Not sure if its the book or just my lack of understanding but some of these topics covered are going straight over my head...

Let x[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ. If 3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1 ≤ x[itex]^{7}[/itex] + x[itex]^{3}[/itex], then x > 0.
    Proof
    Contrapositive.
    If x≤ 0, then 3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1> x[itex]^{7}[/itex] + x[itex]^{3}[/itex]
    Assume x ≤ 0 for x [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ.
    Since for all values of x less than or equal to zero would produce a true statement.
    Since 3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1 < 0 for x ≤ 0 and 0 > x[itex]^{7}[/itex] + x[itex]^{3}[/itex] for x ≤ 0.

Would this suffice as a proof? It seems like I don't know the tools to know how to get there, it always seems obvious when I look at the answer key, but have really no idea how to get there.

7. Oct 16, 2012 #6
    Oh...and I would just like to point out how the book does this type of problem. Seems incredibly non-intuitive to me.

Let x [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ. If x[itex]^{5}[/itex] -3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+2x[itex]^{3}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex] +4x - 1 ≥ 0, then x ≥ 0.
    Proof.
    Assume that x < 0. Then x[itex]^{5}[/itex] < 0, 2x[itex]^{3}[/itex] < 0, and 4x < 0. In addition, -3x[itex]^{4}[/itex] < 0 and -x[itex]^{2}[/itex] < 0.

Thus x[itex]^{5}[/itex] -3x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+2x[itex]^{3}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex] +4x - 1 < 0 - 1 < 0.
    as desired.

This is what I have to go on for an example...there has got to be a better way to do these proofs. I'm just regurgitating the same problem, except with different numbers and yet I have no idea what I'm doing.

8. Oct 16, 2012 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can omit the sentence above. Instead, show using inequalities why this is so.

For any real x, 3x4 + 1 ≥ 1 > 0
    For any x ≤ 0, x7 ≤ 0 and x3 ≤ 0, hence x7 +x3 ≤ 0
    Then for any x ≤ 0, 3x4 + 1 > x7 +x3.

9. Oct 17, 2012 #8
    Yes I think this is one of the most obvious cases where indirect proof is easier than direct proof. For a direct proof, you'd need to solve the equation 1+3x4-x3-x7=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook