1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proofs Matrices Invertible

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    i need to be able to prove that an nxn matrix with two identical columns cannot be invertible. I know that if the columns of the matrix are linearly independent then the matrix is invertible. Could some plz give me a hint on how to do this proof because i really don't know where to start. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depending on what has been covered in your class, it may be easiest to work with the nullspace of the matrix A. A is invertible iff the nullspace of A contains only the zero vector.
    Call, the matrix A. If you can find a nonzero vector x such that Ax=0, then you've shown A is not invertible.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Galileo said, it depends on what has been covered. It is relatively easy to show that the determinant of a matrix in which two columns are the same is 0.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

what's it mean when two columns of a matrix are identical?

Compare this with what is meant by 'linearly independent'.

Can two identical columns in one matrix be independent?

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, I've never seen a text that definedf "independent" for the columns of a matrix!

You can, of course, think of the columns of a matrix as vectors and then determine whether or not those vectors are independent.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hallsofivy, I think the columns being independent refers to them as vectors being linearly independent essentially (it's not proper terminology perhaps, but it does get the point across)

8. Oct 4, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yeh, I went back and edited my post just before I saw this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?