Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proofs Matrices Invertible

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    i need to be able to prove that an nxn matrix with two identical columns cannot be invertible. I know that if the columns of the matrix are linearly independent then the matrix is invertible. Could some plz give me a hint on how to do this proof because i really don't know where to start. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depending on what has been covered in your class, it may be easiest to work with the nullspace of the matrix A. A is invertible iff the nullspace of A contains only the zero vector.
    Call, the matrix A. If you can find a nonzero vector x such that Ax=0, then you've shown A is not invertible.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

As Galileo said, it depends on what has been covered. It is relatively easy to show that the determinant of a matrix in which two columns are the same is 0.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

what's it mean when two columns of a matrix are identical?

Compare this with what is meant by 'linearly independent'.

Can two identical columns in one matrix be independent?

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Actually, I've never seen a text that definedf "independent" for the columns of a matrix!

You can, of course, think of the columns of a matrix as vectors and then determine whether or not those vectors are independent.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hallsofivy, I think the columns being independent refers to them as vectors being linearly independent essentially (it's not proper terminology perhaps, but it does get the point across)

8. Oct 4, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yeh, I went back and edited my post just before I saw this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook