Proofs on Sets: Help with Proving (A \cup B) X C

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with understanding mathematical proofs and asking for feedback on their own proof. The conversation includes an example of a proof and a technical point about using proper notation.
bigrodey77
Hello all,

I'm having a hard time trying to prove a few things. I'm looking for a little help because I cannot seem to grasp the concept of proofs and what constitutes a valid proof and if my proof is wrong, correcting it.

I have a proof done and if anyone could "critique" it I would be very grateful.

Prove: (A [tex]\cup[/tex] B) X C = (A X C) [tex]\cup[/tex] (B X C)

Proof:
Let x [tex]\in[/tex] (A [tex]\cup[/tex] B) X C
Then x is of the type (y,z) where y [tex]\in[/tex] A and z [tex]\in[/tex] C
Then y [tex]\in[/tex] A or y [tex]\in[/tex] B
Since z [tex]\in[/tex] C, (y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] A X C or
Since z [tex]\in[/tex] C, (y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] B X C
Then (y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] (A X C) [tex]\cup[/tex] (B X C)
Therefore (A [tex]\cup[/tex] B) X C = (A X C) [tex]\cup[/tex] (B X C)

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
What is X? does it stand for [itex]\cap[/itex]?

EnumaElish said:
What is X? does it stand for [itex]\cap[/itex]?

I would assume that it represents the cartesian product.

d_leet said:
I would assume that it represents the cartesian product.
"Duh!"

Let x in (A U B) X C
Then x is of the type (y,z) where y in A or B and z in C.

Otherwise your logic is correct.

Last edited:
Thank you guys very much for your responses, I am sure I'll have a couple more here tomorrow...

Thanks again!

Technical point: it would be better to say IF [itex]x\in (A\Cup B)\cross C[/itex]. "let x ..." runs into trouble if the set is empty!

More important point: you have proved that [itex](A\Cup B) X C \subset (A X C)\Cup (B X C)[/itex], not that they are equal you still have to prove that "if x is in [itex](A X C)\Cup (B X C)[/itex], then it is in [itex](A\Cup B) X C[\itex].

1. What does (A \cup B) X C mean?

(A \cup B) X C is a mathematical notation that represents the Cartesian product of two sets, A and B, and another set C. This means that the resulting set will contain all possible ordered pairs where the first element is from A or B, and the second element is from C.

2. How do you prove (A \cup B) X C?

To prove (A \cup B) X C, you need to show that every element in the resulting set is a valid ordered pair according to the definition of Cartesian product. This can be done by examining the elements in A and B and combining them with elements in C to create ordered pairs that satisfy the definition.

3. Can (A \cup B) X C be simplified?

Yes, (A \cup B) X C can be simplified using set operations. For example, if A and B are disjoint sets, then (A \cup B) X C can be simplified to (A X C) \cup (B X C), which means taking the Cartesian product of A and C, and the Cartesian product of B and C, and then combining the two resulting sets.

4. How is (A \cup B) X C related to set unions and intersections?

(A \cup B) X C is related to set unions and intersections because it involves taking the union of two sets (A and B) and then taking the Cartesian product of that union with another set (C). This can be thought of as combining the elements in A and B, and then combining those elements with the elements in C to create a new set.

5. Can the order of the sets in (A \cup B) X C be changed?

Yes, the order of the sets in (A \cup B) X C can be changed without changing the resulting set. This is because the Cartesian product is commutative, meaning that the order of the sets does not affect the resulting set. However, the order of the elements within each set does matter.