1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Proofs] Proof by cases

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a proof by cases to show that the equation

5x^2 + 4y^3 = 51

does not have solutions x, y ∈ Z+

3. The attempt at a solution

My wording is very awkward, i am hoping that i can get some advice on it.

To prove there are no solutions x, y ∈ Z+ we first divide into cases. Note that 5x² cannot be equal to 4y³ as 51 is an odd number and an odd number divided by 2 does not give a result ∈ Z+.

Case 1: 5x² < 4y³. In this case, only values of y that result in a value from 4y³ larger than 51 / 2 are usable. It follows that only the possible value for y in this case is 2. Therefore there must be a value for 5x² which results in 19. Testing with x=1 and x=2 we see that there is no value for 5x² which results in 19. Thus we conclude there are no solutions in this case.

Case 2: 5x² > 4y³. In this case, only values of x that result in a value from 5x² larger than 51 / 2 are usable. It follows that the only possible value for x in this case is 3. Therefore we need a value for 4y³ which results in 6. Testing with y=1 and y=2 we see that there is clearly no value for 4y³ which results in 6. There are no solutions in this case.

Thus we conclude that since we could not find a solution in either case, there is no solution.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?