Proving a Bijection between (0,1) and P(N)

• Thread starter podboy6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, my proofs professor gave us this problem as a challenge, but I'm stuck. I'm here to ask for help. He mentioned that this was going to be difficult, and I don't know if I'm just having difficulty starting. Option 1 or 3 might be the easiest for me.
podboy6
My proofs professor gave us this problem as a challenge, but I'm stuck, which is why I'm here:

Let A,B sets
Define set A to be (0,1)
Define set B to be P(N), where N is the set of natural numbers, and P(N) is its power set.

Question: Construct a bijection between (0,1) and P(N) or a related set.

So I need to show that [tex] \exists f:A \rightarrow B[/tex], a bijection

Now, I know that both (0,1) and P(N) are both uncountably infinite.

The first thought that came to me was to use the Shroeder-Bernstein theorem and prove that set A is 1:1 with set B and vice verse, which would make it onto as well.

But, I guess, what I'm failing to grasp, is how an uncountably infinite set can be 1:1 with another uncountably infinite set, and vice verse, and thus be a bijective mapping?

He did also say that we could try to prove that both sets have the same cardinality, but did not elaborate. He mentioned that this was going to be difficult. I guess I'm just having difficulty starting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An example of the things you're struggling with, let N be the natural numbers and let N be the natural numbers, then there are injections from N to N that are not surjections, (eg x ---> 2x) in both directions, the same for the reals... replace N with R if it helps to see it for noncountable (countable is a misleading property).

The same holds even if you can't see both sets are obviously the same (cardinality)

There are three ways I can think of doing this problem:

1) Find an explicit bijection between A and B.

2) Prove |A| = |B|. There should be a theorem which allows you to conclude that there is a bijection from A to B given |A| = |B|.

3) Explicitly construct injections from A into B (and vice versa). Use the Shroeder-Bernstein Theorem to conclude that there is a bijection between the two.

Which option do you think you want to try? I don't know enough set theory to know how to do option 2. Whenever I've wanted to show two sets had the same cardinality, I did so by FIRST showing that there is a bijection between them, so I would be better off just doing option 1. So for me, I would do option 1 or option 3. Option 3 might be the easiest.

For a hint for an injection from A to B, think about the binary expansion of numbers in (0,1). Note that some numbers don't have unique expansions, for example 0.1 = 0.011111..., just like 0.3 = 0.2999... You'll have to make a simple choice about whether to express a number with a terminating decimal expansion in its terminating form or in its form that has all 1's after a certain point. Making this stipulation, there's a relatively obvious choice for the injection from A to B. The fact that you have to make this choice should tell you why you can't use the exact same idea to go backwards from B to A. But there's a very simple way to use the same idea on two separate parts of B, and just make sure that these separate parts of B go to totally separate parts of A. This might all sound vague. It's just the answer I thought of, but with all the details removed so it doesn't give you the answer. I don't know if this makes for a good hint, but do what you can with it.

It seems, at least intuitively, that the number of pairs of binary fractions that map to the same real number, is countable. Is this the case?

Carl

Under what map?

1. How do you define a bijection between (0,1) and P(N)?

A bijection is a function that maps every element from one set to a unique element in another set. In this case, a bijection between (0,1) and P(N) would need to map each element in the interval (0,1) to a unique subset of natural numbers (N).

2. Why is proving a bijection between (0,1) and P(N) important?

Proving a bijection between (0,1) and P(N) helps us understand the relationship between the real numbers and the natural numbers. It also has applications in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

3. What is the cardinality of (0,1) and P(N)?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. The cardinality of (0,1) is uncountably infinite, meaning it has a larger number of elements than the natural numbers. The cardinality of P(N) is also uncountably infinite, but it is a larger infinity than (0,1).

4. How can you prove that a bijection exists between (0,1) and P(N)?

There are several methods for proving the existence of a bijection between two sets. One approach is to use the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem, which states that if there are injective functions from each set to the other, then a bijection exists between them. Another method is to construct a specific bijection between the two sets, such as the one using the binary representation of real numbers.

5. Can you give an example of a bijection between (0,1) and P(N)?

One example of a bijection between (0,1) and P(N) is the function f(x) = {2^x} where x is a real number in the interval (0,1). This function maps each real number in (0,1) to a unique subset of natural numbers by taking its binary representation and treating it as a set of powers of 2. For example, the number 0.5 would map to the set {2^(-1)} which is equivalent to the natural number 1. This bijection can be proven using the binary representation of real numbers and the principle of mathematical induction.