Linear Algebra Proofs: Solving for Scalar and Vector Using Axioms

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in linear algebra where the goal is to prove that if a scalar multiplied by a vector equals zero, either the scalar or the vector must be equal to zero. The conversation also touches on the use of axioms in the proof, particularly the axioms for a general vector space. The participants also discuss strategies for proving this result, including using the zero vector and building off of previous proofs.
TrapMuzik
Hey all,

So I'm just starting a course in linear algebra, but I don't have much experience with proofs. This problem has been giving me some difficulty.

So we have a scalar "a" and vector x. V is a linear space, and x is contained in V. I have to show that if ax=0, where 0 is the zero element of V, then either a=0 (scalar) or x=0 (vector).

However, I must do the proof using the following axioms. I will briefly summarize them.

1. for every v1 and v2 there is a unique element in V equal to the sum of v1 and v2
2. same deal as above but with multiplication of a scalar and a vector
3. v1+v2=v2+v1
4. (v1+v2)+v3= v1 + (v2+v3)
5. existence of the element 0 (v+0=v)
6. v + (-1)v = 0
7. for scalars a and b, a(bv)=(ab)v
8. a(v1+v2)=av1 + av2
9. same deal as 8 but with one vector being multiplied by (a+b)
10. 1v=v

I was messing around with dividing things, but I don't think I can relate it to the axioms

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey TrapMuzik and welcome to the forums.

Do you assume the vector space axioms hold or do you have to prove them? (It looks like you assume them since you are talking about a general space).

The first part is just using the first axiom directly. The axioms are given here:

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~tao/resource/general/121.1.00s/vector_axioms.html

A lot of what you are saying follows directly from the definitions. For example the one involving three terms is just a special case of the one with two terms.

I should add that there are 3 proofs that I believe build on each other and may be of use for this problem.

The first is a proof that 0x= the zero vector

Let z=0x
z+z= 0x + 0x = (0+0)x (axiom 8) = 0x = z
so we have z+z=z, and by axiom 5 we get that z=0

The second proof is for a0=0
It's the same method as used for the above proof.

The third proof is to show that (-a)x=-(ax)=a(-x)
let z = (-a)x
z + ax = (-a)x + ax = (-a+a)x = 0x = 0 (using axiom 9)
From this we get z= -(ax).
In the same way, if we add a(-x) to ax and use axiom 8/what we proved in the second proof, we get a(-x)=-(ax)

Okay so I think we have to somehow build off of these proofs for the next one...
I'm sure there is a simple proof that is evading me. Any tips/ideas?

Hi chiro,

I may have to go about showing that this space meets all of the axioms, now that you mention it. Thanks for your help!

The zero vector is part of the axioms for a general vector space so you can use that for free.

If you have to prove the axioms for a general vector space, then that's a different matter altogether. Do you have to prove the rest of the axioms for the vector space given the initial ones as opposed to proving a set of specific results where you can assume all the base axioms?

For this question we are assuming the base axioms. There are later problems where we have to define addition, check closure, etc.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their properties. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are the axioms of linear algebra?

The axioms of linear algebra are a set of fundamental rules or properties that govern vector spaces. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements.

3. How do you solve for a scalar in a linear algebra proof?

To solve for a scalar in a linear algebra proof, you can use the axioms of scalar multiplication. These axioms state that a scalar can be distributed across a vector, and that the product of a scalar and a vector is commutative. By applying these axioms, you can manipulate the equations to isolate the scalar on one side of the equation.

4. How do you solve for a vector in a linear algebra proof?

To solve for a vector in a linear algebra proof, you can use the axioms of vector addition and scalar multiplication. These axioms allow you to manipulate the equations and isolate the vector on one side of the equation. You can also use matrix operations, such as row reduction, to solve for a vector.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving linear algebra proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving linear algebra proofs include:

• Not checking if the given equations satisfy the axioms of linear algebra.
  • Mistakes in algebraic manipulation, such as forgetting to distribute a scalar or combining terms incorrectly.
  • Confusing the properties of scalars and vectors, such as thinking that scalar multiplication is commutative.
  • Forgetting to check for extraneous solutions after solving the equations.
To avoid these mistakes, it is important to thoroughly understand the axioms and properties of linear algebra and to double-check your work for accuracy.