Finding the Best Prop Setup for Bowfishing Boats

• Thread starter justinduke
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on finding the best prop setup for their bowfishing boat, which uses a 24hp Honda engine and a 4-blade 48" prop at 8 degrees. They are wondering if a 3-blade prop with more pitch would perform better. They provide a link to a video of a similar boat and mention previous discussions on props in the Engineering posts. They also mention using a ducted fan by enshrouding the prop in a plastic or sheet-metal tube. They have already implemented this technique to some extent.
justinduke
Hi everybody I'm new to the site and figured you all could help me out. I have a boat that I use for bowfishing and on the back I have a swivel setup with a 24hp Honda horizontal shaft engine turning a 4-blade 48" prop at 8 degrees(have to double check that). Anyways the prop, or fan as I call it, is used to push the boat through very shallow water. How would I go about finding the best prop setup for me that would create the most thrust? What I need to know is if say a 3-blade prop with more pitch would perform better for me? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to a video of a boat similar to mine just so you can get the idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.arbowfishingboatfab.com/videos/arbowfishingboatmod1.wmv [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a couple of other threads around here dealing with props, so you might find what you want by just reading through the last week or so of Engineering posts. One thing that will help, even with your current equipment, is to enshroud the prop in a plastic or sheet-metal tube to create what is known as a 'ducted fan'.

Ok thanks. Yeah I put sheet metal around the outer ring of the shroud when I first built it.

1. How do I know which prop setup is best for my bowfishing boat?

The best prop setup for your bowfishing boat depends on a variety of factors such as the type of water you will be fishing in, the size and weight of your boat, and the type of motor you have. It's important to do research and consult with experts to determine the best prop setup for your specific needs.

2. What size propeller should I use for bowfishing?

The size of the propeller you should use for bowfishing depends on the size and weight of your boat, as well as the horsepower and torque of your motor. Generally, a larger propeller with more blades is better for heavier boats and rougher waters, while a smaller propeller with fewer blades is better for lighter boats and calmer waters.

3. Should I use a stainless steel or aluminum prop for bowfishing?

Both stainless steel and aluminum props can be used for bowfishing. Stainless steel props are more durable and better for heavy-duty use, but they also tend to be more expensive. Aluminum props are more affordable and better for shallow waters, but they can be easily damaged by rocks and debris.

4. How do I know if my prop is properly balanced?

A properly balanced propeller should spin smoothly and evenly without any wobbling or vibrations. If you notice any unusual vibrations or noises while running your boat, it may indicate that your prop is not properly balanced and needs to be adjusted or replaced.

5. Can I use a trolling motor prop for bowfishing?

If you have a small bowfishing boat, a trolling motor prop may be suitable for your needs. However, for larger boats and more intense bowfishing, it's recommended to use a specific bowfishing prop that is designed for higher speeds and heavier loads. Trolling motor props may not be as durable and may not provide enough power for efficient bowfishing.