Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagation of Uncertainties using Partial Differentials and w/ and w/o Probability

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    Assume we have the function [tex]z = x\sin y[/tex]
    Our best guest for our measurement is x=1.0 and y=2.0. The uncertainty in x is 0.05. The uncertainty in y is 0.10.

We want to calculate the final uncertainty as the initial uncertainties propagate through the function.

***** Method 1 *****
    In Calculus III we find the propagation of uncertainties in multivariable functions using the following method:

[tex]
    dz = \frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial x}}dx + \frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial y}}dy
    [/tex]

So the uncertainty would be

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    dz = \sin \left( y \right)dx + x\cos \left( y \right)dy \\
    dz = \sin \left( {2.0} \right)\left( {0.05} \right) + \left( {1.0} \right)\cos \left( {2.0} \right)\left( {0.10} \right) \\
    dz = 0.0039 \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

***** Method 2 *****

According to
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Error-Analysis-Uncertainties-Measurements/dp/093570275X

It says we should use this formula to calculate the propagated uncertainty:

[tex]
    \delta z = \sqrt {\left( {\frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial x}}dx} \right)^2 + \left( {\frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial y}}dy} \right)^2 }
    [/tex]

Using this method the uncertainty is

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \delta z = \sqrt {\left[ {\sin \left( {2.0} \right)\left( {0.05} \right)} \right]^2 + \left[ {\left( {1.0} \right)\cos \left( {2.0} \right)\left( {0.10} \right)} \right]^2 } \\
    \delta z = 0.062 \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

The uncertainty in method 2 is nearly 16 times larger than the uncertainty in method 1.
    I am assuming method 2 represents the uncertainty better than method 1.

My question is: What is method 2 taking into account that method 1 isnt? Why does method 2 represent the uncertainty better than method 1?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To reconcile the 2 approaches, I suggest you modify method 1 to use absolute value for both terms and then add. This would bring them closer.

Method 2 is the usual statistical approach, since errors can be negative or positive.

4. Sep 21, 2006 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I believe the law of averages would rapidly assert itself in this scenario. The Chi squared probability is the most reliable method, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?