1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagation of uncertainty

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The area of a flat, rectangular parcel of land is computed from the measurement of the length of two
    adjacent sides, X and Y. Measurements are made using a scaled chain accurate to within 0.5% over its
    indicated length. The two sides are measured several times with the following results:

X = 556 m
    Stdev =5.3 m
    n = 8

Y = 222 m
    stdev = 2.1 m
    n = 7

Estimate the area of the land and state the confidence interval of that measurement at 95%.

2. Relevant equations

propagation of uncertainty formula

[tex]
    \delta z = \sqrt {\left( {\frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial x}}dx} \right)^2 + \left( {\frac{{\partial z}}{{\partial y}}dy} \right)^2 }
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My issue here is how to account for the accuracy of the chain in the problem statement. I can easily find the values of X&Y at 95% confidence using the mean value and stdev and plug them into the uncertainty formula. What do I do with the 0.5%?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted