How do you calculate the uncertainty in T using graphs?

In summary, when calculating the uncertainty in T based on the equation m(B-V) = 1.2 +- 0.2, it is important to consider the assumption of linearity and the monotonicity of the solution for T. By evaluating T for different values of m(B-V), the range of uncertainty can be determined. However, if the uncertainty is nearly 20% of the measured value, it may be more accurate to use a non-linear approach. When reporting asymmetric uncertainties, it is recommended to use a standardized method.
heavystray
i have an equation like this:
upload_2018-1-27_2-6-36.png

Given m(B-V)= 1.2 +- 0.2
How do you calculate the uncertainty in T? (btw, I solve T using graphs by finding the intersection point)

My idea was first to calculate T when m(B-V) =0.2, and I then calculate T when m(B-V)= 1.2 + 0.2(its uncertainty). and then find the difference between the two T. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_2-6-36.png
    upload_2018-1-27_2-6-36.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment cannot be viewed.

kuruman said:
Your attachment cannot be viewed.
ughh thanks for pointing that out, sorry!

There is the simple way -- assume that the solution for T is monotone in m(B-V). Evaluate T for m(B-V) = 1.4 and for m(B-V) = 1.0. See what the range is.

Evaluating the error range by looking at a partial derivative of T with respect to m(B-V) and then multiplying by the error bound on m(B-V) sounds like way too much work and may not even be accurate.

Take the derivative of both sides. You get something of the form:
dm(B-V) = (...) dT
where I'm too lazy to figure out the part in parentheses.
Then the error is
dT = dm(B-V) / (...)
then just let dm = 0.2

This assumes that the error is small, so that you can treat the error in T as linearly proportional to the error in m. This will fail if the error is actually not small.

Likes jbriggs444
You can invert the equation and solve for T in terms of m(B-V). Then do standard error propagation. Use
$$\frac{{e^{\frac{a}{T}} } } {{e^{\frac{b}{T}}}}=e^{\frac{1}{T}(a-b)}$$

jbriggs444 said:
There is the simple way -- assume that the solution for T is monotone in m(B-V). Evaluate T for m(B-V) = 1.4 and for m(B-V) = 1.0. See what the range is.

Evaluating the error range by looking at a partial derivative of T with respect to m(B-V) and then multiplying by the error bound on m(B-V) sounds like way too much work and may not even be accurate.

what do you mean the for T is monotone? so the range would be divided by two right? thanks for the reply

kuruman said:
You can invert the equation and solve for T in terms of m(B-V). Then do standard error propagation. Use
$$\frac{{e^{\frac{a}{T}} } } {{e^{\frac{b}{T}}}}=e^{\frac{1}{T}(a-b)}$$

Wait, I'm really sorry, the equation supposed to have minus one after e, that's why i can't solve for T in terms of m(B-V) numerically. sorry again for uploading the wrong eq. thanks for the reply
upload_2018-1-27_10-2-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_10-2-58.png
    upload_2018-1-27_10-2-58.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 493
heavystray said:
Wait, I'm really sorry, the equation supposed to have minus one after e, that's why i can't solve for T in terms of m(B-V) numerically.
That makes a big difference. Thanks for the clarification.

heavystray said:
what do you mean the for T is monotone? so the range would be divided by two right? thanks for the reply
A function is monotone if it it always increases when its argument increases. Or if it always decreases when its argument increases. If a function is monotone then it takes on its extreme values at the extreme values of its input. This is a less strict condition than "linearly proportional".

The range would not be divided by two. The uncertainty could be different on each side of the measured/computed value.

WIth an uncertainty that is nearly as much as 20% of the measured value it might be wise to discard the assumption of linear proportionality.

What is the value of T that gives m(B-V) = 1.2? I assume it is an experimental number.

jbriggs444 said:
A function is monotone if it it always increases when its argument increases. Or if it always decreases when its argument increases. If a function is monotone then it takes on its extreme values at the extreme values of its input. This is a less strict condition than "linearly proportional".

The range would not be divided by two. The uncertainty could be different on each side of the measured/computed value.

WIth an uncertainty that is nearly as much as 20% of the measured value it might be wise to discard the assumption of linear proportionality.

if we use the above eq. when
m(B-V)= 1.2, T= 3930
when m(B-V)= 1, T= 4420
when m(B-V)= 1.4, T= 3530

so the uncertainty of T= is 4420-3530?

OR
we have to do it separately on both sides?
upper uncertainty= 3920-3530
lower uncertainty= 4420-3920

Thanks

Last edited:
kuruman said:
What is the value of T that gives m(B-V) = 1.2? I assume it is an experimental number.

if we use the above eq. when m(B-V)= 1.2, T= 3930
when m(B-V)= 1, T= 4420

heavystray said:
if we use the above eq. when m(B-V)= 1.2, T= 3930
For m(B-V) = 1.2 I got T = 4960 for log base 2.51. The natural log gave me 3714 which is closer to your value of 3930.

kuruman said:
For m(B-V) = 1.2 I got T = 4960 for log base 2.51. The natural log gave me 3714 which is closer to your value of 3930.
wait, how do you find the 4960?

jbriggs444 said:

if we use the above eq. when
m(B-V)= 1.2, T= 3930
when m(B-V)= 1, T= 4420

so the uncertainty of T= is 4420-3530?

OR
we have to do it separately on both sides?
upper uncertainty= 3920-3530
lower uncertainty= 4420-3920

Thanks

1. What is propagation of uncertainty?

Propagation of uncertainty is a method used in scientific experiments and calculations to estimate the uncertainties in the final result based on the uncertainties in the input variables or measurements. It takes into account the errors and uncertainties in the data and provides a way to quantify and propagate them through the calculations to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

2. Why is propagation of uncertainty important?

Propagation of uncertainty is important because it allows scientists to understand the reliability and accuracy of their measurements and calculations. It helps to identify the sources of error and determine the overall uncertainty in the final result. This is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing valid conclusions from scientific data.

3. How is propagation of uncertainty calculated?

Propagation of uncertainty is calculated using the principles of calculus and statistics. It involves determining the partial derivatives of the mathematical equations used to calculate the final result, and then combining them with the uncertainties in the input variables using the laws of error propagation, such as the product, quotient, and sum rules.

4. Can propagation of uncertainty be applied to all types of measurements?

Yes, propagation of uncertainty can be applied to all types of measurements as long as the uncertainties in the input variables are known or can be estimated. This includes physical measurements, chemical analyses, and statistical data analysis.

5. How can propagation of uncertainty be reduced?

Propagation of uncertainty can be reduced by improving the accuracy and precision of the measurements and reducing the sources of error. This can be achieved by using more precise instruments, increasing the sample size, and minimizing external factors that may affect the measurements. It is also important to properly document and track the uncertainties in the input variables to ensure accurate propagation of uncertainty.