Propagator Equation: Explaining Integral

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propagator
In summary, the equation \psi(x,t) = \int{U(x,t,x',t')\psi(x',t')dx'} where U is the propagator represents the most general linear operator connecting wave functions at times t and t'. The propagator, which is the time evolution operator, is not simply multiplied by an initial state to get a final state, but rather the integral takes into account the amplitude of the particle to move from any point in space to the final point. The notation U(x,t;x') = <x|U(t)|x'> represents the matrix element of the unitary operator U(t) in the basis provided by the vectors |x>.
ehrenfest
Can someone explain to me why the equation [tex] \psi(x,t) = \int{U(x,t,x',t')\psi(x',t')dx'} [/tex] where U is the propagator has an integral? I thought you could just multiply the propogator by an initial state and get a final state?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
Can someone explain to me why the equation [tex] \psi(x,t) = \int{U(x,t,x',t')\psi(x',t')dx'} [/tex] where U is the propagator has an integral? I thought you could just multiply the propogator by an initial state and get a final state?

In quantum mechanics, time evolution of wave functions is represented by the time evolution operator. The formula you wrote is the most general linear operator connecting wave functions at times t and t'.

ehrenfest said:

Perhaps so, if you call the time evolution operator a propagator. You can get the time evolution by multiplying the state vector by a correct operator

[tex]
|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iH(t-t')/\hbar}|\psi(t')\rangle
[/tex]

This is quite abstract like this. If you use the position representation, then this operator is something more complicated that just a function, and this "multiplication" is not a pointwise multiplication of two functions.

OK. So for the position representation (which is the same as the X basis, right?) we have that (for a free particle):

[tex]U(x,t;x') \equiv <x|U(t)|x'> = \int^{\infty}_{\infty}<x|p><p|x'>e^{-ip^2/2m\hbar}dp [/tex]

which can be reduced to [tex](\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar i t})^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t} [/tex].

So why is it not [tex]\psi(x,t) = (\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar i t})^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t} \psi(x',0)[/tex]

or simply [tex]\psi(x,t) = U(x,t;x') \psi(x',0)[/tex]?

Also, what exactly does the equivalence mean [tex]U(x,t;x') \equiv <x|U(t)|x'> [/tex]?

Last edited:
I could well be wrong, and at best I'll give a very restricted view since I probably know less than you, but...

Think about a particle with psi(x,t=0) a delta function. Over time psi spreads out, and psi(x',t)=U(x,t;x') psi(x,t=0).
But then think about (the maybe unphysical I don't know) situation of a particle starting with two inifinitly thin peaks. Then at a later time, at position x', psi will be given by the contribution from the first peak which has spread out + the contribution from the second peak spread. Generalise for a continuous wavefunction and you get an integral.

That makes sense except I think you may have mixed up your primes in the expression for U(t) but still that explanation of the integral really helped.

ehrenfest said:
OK. So for the position representation (which is the same as the X basis, right?) we have that (for a free particle):

[tex]U(x,t;x') \equiv <x|U(t)|x'> = \int^{\infty}_{\infty}<x|p><p|x'>e^{-ip^2/2m\hbar}dp [/tex]

which can be reduced to [tex](\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar i t})^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t} [/tex].

This is an amplitude for the particle to move from point x' to point x in time t.

ehrenfest said:
So why is it not [tex]\psi(x,t) = (\frac{m}{2\pi\hbar i t})^{1/2}e^{im(x-x')^2/2\hbar t} \psi(x',0)[/tex]

or simply [tex]\psi(x,t) = U(x,t;x') \psi(x',0)[/tex]?

Because the particle can arrive to the point x not only from x', but from any other point in space as well. So, this expression should be integrated on x' in order to get the full amplitude of finding the particle at point x.

I think that explanation given by plmokn2 is a good one.

Eugene.

ehrenfest said:
Also, what exactly does the equivalence mean [tex]U(x,t;x') \equiv <x|U(t)|x'> [/tex]?

So I see how you can think of its as U(t) operating on the ket |x'> to get U(t;x') but how can you think of the relationship between the bra <x'| and the operator U(t;x'). What does <x'|U(t;x') "mean"?

ehrenfest said:
So I see how you can think of its as U(t) operating on the ket |x'> to get U(t;x') but how can you think of the relationship between the bra <x'| and the operator U(t;x'). What does <x'|U(t;x') "mean"?

In the notation U(t;x, x') = < x| U(t) |x'> you can first apply the unitary operator U(t) to the ket vector |x'> on the right and obtain a new ket vector
(which is a result of a time translation applied to |x'>), which I denote by

|x', t> = U(t) |x'>

In the next step you can take an inner product of |x', t> with the bra vector <x|

U(t;x, x') = <x |x', t>

U(t;x, x') is a complex number which can be interpreted as a matrix element of the unitary operator U(t) in the basis provided by vectors |x>.

ehrenfest, you should do the exercise, where Shrodinger's equation is derived out of a time evolution defined with a propagator. After it, it becomes easier to believe in propagators, and in how they work. If the sources you are using don't explain it, you can get hints from here.

1. What is the propagator equation?

The propagator equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe how a particle evolves over time. It relates the initial state of a particle to its state at a later time, taking into account the effects of forces acting on the particle.

2. What is the significance of the propagator equation?

The propagator equation is an essential tool in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as in the presence of multiple forces or in confined spaces.

3. How is the propagator equation derived?

The propagator equation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It involves solving for the time evolution of a wave function, which describes the state of a particle. The solution to the Schrödinger equation is then used to derive the propagator equation.

4. Can the propagator equation be applied to all particles?

Yes, the propagator equation can be applied to all particles, including both fermions and bosons. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the properties of the particle, such as its spin and mass.

5. How is the propagator equation related to the integral?

The propagator equation is often written in integral form, which uses integrals to represent the time evolution of a particle. This allows us to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another by integrating over all possible paths that the particle could take. Thus, the integral is an essential component of the propagator equation.