Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagator in Feynman rules

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    I'm probably missing something small but I haven't been able to figure this out. In the Feynman rules (for a scalar field that obeys the Klein-Gordon equation), you write a propagator for internal lines as

[tex]
    \frac{i}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
    [/tex]

The propagator integrand is originally

[tex]
    \frac{e^{i k (x-y)}}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
    [/tex]

Since we're dealing with an internal line, both exponentials, in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex], are integrated out to delta functions, leaving you with

[tex]
    \frac{1}{k^2 - m^2 + i \epsilon}.
    [/tex]

That I see, but where does the [itex]i[/itex] in the numerator of the first expression above come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This factor i comes from the i in the path-integral formula for the generating functional for (connected Green's functions), [tex]W[J]=\ln Z[J][/tex] with

[tex]Z[J]=\int \mathcal{D} \phi \exp[\mathrm{i} \int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \mathrm{d}^4 x [\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial \phi)+J \phi]].[/tex]

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3
    Ah, I think I got it. I had ignored the factor [itex]i[/itex] when I wrote things down as Wick contractions. Thanks.

5. Aug 23, 2010 #4
    Chapter 10 of Srednicki is a good way to see the Feynman rules emerge, including this factor of i.

6. Aug 24, 2010 #5
    He seems to adopt quite a different approach than the author of the book I'm using. I may have a look at that later. Thanks for the tip.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook