Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the propagator for the Proca Lagrangian and obtaining an equation using the Euler-Lagrange equation. The user is unsure about the steps and asks for help, which is then provided by referring to specific problems in a QFT problem book.
Muoniex

Homework Statement

I want to show that the propagator of Proca Lagrangian:

[tex] \mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu}+\frac{1}{2}M^2A_\mu A^\mu[/tex]

Is given by:

[tex]\widetilde{D}_{\mu \nu}(k)=\frac{i}{k^2-M^2+i\epsilon}[-g_{\mu\nu}+\frac{k_\mu k_\nu}{M^2}][/tex]

Homework Equations

Remember that: [tex]F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the Euler-Lagrange equation, and I obtained:

[tex]\partial_{\mu} (\partial^{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A^{\mu} ) + M^2 A^{\nu} = 0[/tex]

I suppose I have to do a Fourier Transform in order to express that equation in terms of [tex]k^\mu[/tex]
but I don't know how to do it. I don't even know if I have started the problem properly, or if there's another way.
Can anyone help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check it in Problem Book in QFT of Voja's the answers to problems 5.2b, 5.7,6.15.

This should answer your questions.

Likes Muoniex
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Check it in Problem Book in QFT of Voja's the answers to problems 5.2b, 5.7,6.15.

This should answer your questions.
Sorry for the late answer, but I wanted to check all the steps with calm.
The problems you told me helped a lot, thanks!

1. What is the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian?

The Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to describe the propagation of a massive vector field. It is derived from the Proca Lagrangian, which is a mathematical expression used to describe the dynamics of a massive vector field in a relativistic framework.

2. How is the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian calculated?

The Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical expressions that describe the interactions between particles. It involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take in a given space and time.

3. What is the significance of the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian in physics?

The Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian is an important tool in understanding the behavior of massive vector fields in quantum field theory. It helps predict the probabilities of interactions between particles and is used in various calculations related to particle physics and cosmology.

4. Can the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian be applied to other fields besides massive vector fields?

Yes, the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian can be applied to other fields that follow similar mathematical frameworks, such as scalar and fermionic fields. However, the specific form of the propagator may differ depending on the type of field being studied.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian?

The Propagator of the Proca Lagrangian has numerous applications in particle physics and cosmology. It is used in calculations related to the behavior of subatomic particles and the evolution of the universe. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the development of new materials with specific electromagnetic properties.