Can propane/air mixtures be safely ignited at extremely high pressures?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving burning a mixture of propane and air under high pressure to propel a projectile. The person wants to try a pre-ignition pressure of 200 ATM and asks about the behavior of the gases at such high pressures. The possibility of the propane liquefying and separating from the other gases is also mentioned. The responder advises against attempting such a project on a non-professional basis due to the potential danger involved.
Spufarm
Hello, I am working on a project that involves burning a mixture of propane and air under pressure to propell a projectile.
This has been done by many people including myself in the past at pre ignition pressures of up to around 10 ATM.
However I want to take it a step further and attempt a pre ignition pressure of 200 ATM or more.
This requires me to premix the propane with air in a larger chamber before forcing it into the sealed chamber.

My question is how the gasses will act under those pressures? I am not much of a chem/physics master myself so I am asking you.
The propane will probably liquify and separate with the other gasses and lay on the bottom, but will there be any gasous propane for a spark to ignite?
Also, if all the propane liquifies, will it still be possible to get it burning as there is plenty of oxygen?

I will just leave it at this now and see if you can make me a little wiser :)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, although you might be qualified to handle all the ingredients you mentioned (inflammable gases, high pressure, ignitions) - a fact we cannot assess - it is far too dangerous to be debatable here (on the internet). We do not know about your qualification, but even more important, we cannot take responsibility for answers that might serve as a blueprint to other readers. Personally, I strongly recommend to avoid such risks on a non-professional basis. People lost their lives on less.

Thread closed.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is the vapor pressure of propane?

The vapor pressure of propane varies depending on temperature, but at room temperature it is approximately 107 psi (pounds per square inch).

2. How does the vapor pressure of propane affect its storage and use?

The vapor pressure of propane is important to consider for safe storage and use. High vapor pressure can lead to increased pressure in storage tanks, while low vapor pressure can result in difficulty igniting the gas.

3. What is the difference between propane and air vapor pressure?

Propane and air have different vapor pressures due to their different molecular structures. Propane has a higher vapor pressure than air, meaning it will evaporate more easily at the same temperature.

4. How is the vapor pressure of propane measured?

The vapor pressure of propane can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a pressure gauge or a manometer. The pressure is typically measured in units of psi or kPa (kilopascals).

5. How does temperature affect the vapor pressure of propane?

The vapor pressure of propane increases as temperature increases. This means that at higher temperatures, propane will evaporate more easily and exert more pressure in a closed system.