What would happen if propane was well-mixed with air?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propane
In summary, a giant propane blast occurred in Toronto causing a yellow-orange fireball and black smoke due to incomplete combustion. Despite being in a residential area, there were minimal casualties. The color of the flame is determined by the air to fuel ratio, with a blue flame indicating a complete combustion and a yellow/orange flame indicating incomplete combustion. In hypothetical situations where the propane is well-mixed with air, the flame would be blue. Thermobaric bombs release a clear cloud fuel which burns with a bright orange or yellow flame. The color of the flame is also affected by the temperature of the molecules being burned, with blue flames being hotter than yellow/orange flames. Overall, the color of the flame is an indication of the efficiency of the
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Here in Toronto we were rocked by a giant propane blast. It was so big that some thought it was nuclear dawn; it had both the characteristic mushroom cloud and a visible, expanding shockwave. Seeing the shockwave was awesome.

Despite being located in a residential area (:bugeye:), the only known casualties are a missing employee and a firefighter.

Anyway. That has nothing to do with my question.

The explosion was a giant yellow-orange fireball, just like gasoline or any other. Yellow-orange fire and black smoke is an indication of incomplete combustion. Natrually, this is because the propane was being ignited as it was mixing with air.

I was wondering what might happen in a hypothetical situation, if the air were first well-mixed with a large amount of propane. Would the fireball be blue? Invisible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would say it should be blue because the air well mized with fuel would cause a complete combustion.

I have propane for my house. The flame is blue.

russ_watters said:
I have propane for my house. The flame is blue.
Yes, I know it is on a small scale. On the other hand, isn't it set burning as it's mixed?

I guess I've gotten two things confused here. I was thinking that well-mixed propane burned invisibly. Now I'm not so sure.

Well-mixed propane burns with a blue flame. If you have to tune up a grill or a gas stove (we have both) there is generally a damper on each burner's gas feed tube that is open to the air. This allows the gas to entrain air as it flows to the burner head Close the damper off and the flame will be yellow. Open the damper gradually until you get a clean-burning blue flame. That's the setting you want.

We used to get nearly invisible flames with bunsen burners, but that's primarily NG (methane).

I think propane and gas flames have near stoichiometric mix and are blue, which indicates a hot flame. I used to adjust acetylene flames to get a bright blue 'feather' in the middle of a dark blue flame, which was almost invisible.

I think thermobaric bombs release a clear cloud fuel (butane), which when ignited, burns bright orange or yellow. LPG is usually a blend of propane and butane.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, I know it is on a small scale. On the other hand, isn't it set burning as it's mixed?
No, just like with a bunsen burner, a stove or grill mixes air with the gas via induction before it is burned.

I don't think there would be a fireball... more like a firebang with a bight light (probably bluish white).

burning propane is not invisible to humans. The color you see is a black body radiation from the hot molecules. If it's blue, you're seeing the radiation from the CO2/H20 molecules that are very hot. If it's yellow or orange you're seeing glowing carbon atoms, which indicates a rich mixtures (incomplete combustion due to lack of oxygen).

A stoiciometric or leaner mixture will contain only blue flames.

----

Earl Stirling
Swiss Army Knife
http://exploratorium.edu

does not the color of the flame directly relate to the air to fuel ratio? like when diesel trucks billow black smoke when they floor the accelerator?

The color only changes when there's not enough oxygen (burning rich). Those diesel particles are soot, which are clumps of carbon molecules... (and you're talking about smoke, not flame). The flames in those conditions would be orange.

sorry, should have specified. but does that not also lend to the same idea?

nope

What is propane and how does it burn invisibly?

Propane is a colorless and odorless gas that is commonly used as a fuel source. When it burns, it produces a flame that is invisible to the naked eye. This is because propane is a clean-burning fuel, meaning it produces very little soot or smoke that would normally create a visible flame.

Is it dangerous that propane burns invisibly?

No, it is not dangerous that propane burns invisibly. In fact, it is a sign that the propane is burning efficiently and cleanly. However, it is important to make sure that the propane is properly contained and used in a well-ventilated area to avoid any potential hazards.

Why do some people add a chemical odorant to propane?

Propane itself is odorless, but for safety purposes, a chemical odorant called ethyl mercaptan is often added to propane. This gives propane a distinct and strong smell that can be easily detected in case of a leak or other safety concerns.

Can you see the flame from propane if it burns invisibly?

While the flame itself may be invisible, you can often see the heat distortion or shimmering effect caused by the burning propane. Additionally, if the propane is burning in a dark or low-light environment, you may be able to see a faint blue color from the flame.

Are there any other gases that burn invisibly like propane?

Yes, there are other gases that can burn invisibly, such as natural gas and methane. Like propane, these gases are clean-burning and produce minimal smoke or soot, resulting in an almost invisible flame. However, these gases also have a distinct odorant added for safety purposes.