Design a Propeller with Manilla Folder: Physics Project

In summary, a manila folder propeller uses aerodynamics to generate lift and thrust. To design one, you will need a manila folder, scissors, ruler, pencil, and hot glue gun. The blades should be curved like an airplane wing and can be tested with different shapes. To assemble, attach the blades to a weight and make sure they are balanced. The physics concepts involved include aerodynamics, lift, thrust, and drag. Experimenting with different designs can help you understand these concepts better.
physics999help
I have a physics project where I am supposed to make a car from index cards, manilla folders, paper clips, drinking straws, glue, tape, rubber bands, etc. I am attaching a propeller to the back, but I need a decent design i can make by cutting and bending a manilla folder. It should not be more than 3 inches across. Pretty, much, i need someone to give me dimensions for a workable propeller.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a job for trial-and-error. Just try some different 2-blade designs and see what happens.

Hi there,

Designing a propeller with a manilla folder for your physics project sounds like a fun and challenging task. Here are some suggestions for creating a workable propeller:

1. Start by cutting out a rectangular piece from the manilla folder that is about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. This will serve as the base of your propeller.

2. Next, cut out two smaller rectangles from the manilla folder, each about 1 inch long and 0.5 inches wide. These will be the blades of your propeller.

3. Fold one of the small rectangles in half lengthwise to create a crease down the center. Then, fold the two ends of the rectangle towards the center crease to create a triangular shape. Repeat this process for the other small rectangle.

4. Attach the two triangular blades to the base of the propeller by gluing or taping them in place. Make sure they are positioned opposite each other, with one blade facing up and the other facing down.

5. To give your propeller more stability, you can also cut out two small rectangles from the manilla folder and fold them into small tabs. Attach these tabs to the base of the propeller, perpendicular to the blades, to act as support beams.

6. Lastly, you can use paper clips or rubber bands to attach the propeller to your car. Make sure it is securely fastened and can rotate freely.

Keep in mind that the dimensions and shape of your propeller may vary depending on the weight and size of your car. You can experiment with different designs and see which one works best for your project. Good luck!

1. How does a manila folder propeller work?

A manila folder propeller works by using the principles of aerodynamics to generate lift and thrust. The curved shape of the propeller blades creates a pressure difference between the front and back of the blade, which causes air to flow over the blades and push the propeller forward.

2. What materials do I need to design a manila folder propeller?

To design a manila folder propeller, you will need a manila folder, scissors, a ruler, a pencil, and a hot glue gun. You may also need a paperclip or other small weight to balance the propeller.

3. How do I design the blades for a manila folder propeller?

The blades of a manila folder propeller should be curved in a similar shape to an airplane wing. Use a ruler and pencil to mark out the shape of the blade, and then cut it out with scissors. You can experiment with different blade shapes to see which one generates the most lift and thrust.

4. How do I assemble the manila folder propeller?

To assemble the manila folder propeller, first cut out two identical blade shapes from the folder. Use a hot glue gun to attach the blades to a paperclip or other small weight, with the curved side facing forward. Make sure the blades are balanced and facing in opposite directions. You can also attach the propeller to a small motor or fan to test its performance.

5. What physics concepts are involved in designing a manila folder propeller?

Designing a manila folder propeller involves concepts such as aerodynamics, lift, thrust, and drag. The curved shape of the blades creates lift, while the rotation of the propeller generates thrust. The weight and balance of the propeller also play a role in its performance. By experimenting with different designs, you can learn more about these concepts and how they affect the propeller's performance.