Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propeller with pressure drop

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    I'm trying to optimize a system involving one or more propellers / fans driving air through a packed bed for scrubbing (compressed then expanded) and out the other side to achieve propulsive thrust. So there's going to be a pressure drop in the slipstream. I've already set up a system to do the calculations for a single propeller via blade element theory, to figure out how much shaft power equals how much flow rate at what speeds and so forth. However, it has no accounting for a pressure drop in the slipstream.

How does one work a pressure drop behind the propeller into prop calculations? I'm sure there's some set of formulae for accounting for such a situation.

Here's what I've been using so far for prop calculations: ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ernesto/F2012/EP/MaterialsforStudents/‌

If I plug in Bernouli's equation into the output (0.5 * rho * (Vinf^2 - Vslip)) I get a couple hundred newtons pressure differential** But I need to reverse that, to work the pressure drop into calculating flow rates / speeds / etc. Hmm...

Ed: *** Seems unusually small. Multiplied by the disc area it comes out with far lower of a force than blade element theory calculates..... Hmm... perhaps I just subtract from the force (pressure drop * disc area), since pressure is force over area? Surely that's right. Maybe I need to double check my Bernouli's formula...

Sorry, ended up sort of thinking out loud here. I'm pretty sure that's right, you can delete this.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Problem solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted