What is the equation for calculating the moment of inertia of a propeller?

In summary, a propeller has a moment of inertia which is 2/3 of its mass multiplied by its radius squared.
Moolan
Hi all,
I am currently working on a project where i need to find the work out from a propeller. But to do so, i need to know the moment of inertia of the propeller. I did a search online and i found that the moment of inertia is

2/3MR^2

I was thinking of assuming the propeller to be a flat rectangular piece then i can use

1/12M(L^2 + B^2)

I need help in deciding which equation is right... as both equation differs quite a lot. Or is the moment of inertia of a propeller something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, a more accurate model would be to approximate the moment of intertia of one propellor blade and then multiply that by the number of blades to get the total moment of inertia. Depending on the shape of such a blade you might decide whether you want to use a rectangular board, a cilinder or something else to model it. Think about the shape and mass distribution of the blade.

Is there an experiment which i could carry out to calculate that inertia?

If you actually have a propeller it is rather easy to determine the moment of inertia experimentally. If you can count the oscillations of a pendulum you can calculate the moment of inertia. We do it quite often as a sanity check against models on rotors and such.

I do have a tachometer. Could you outline the way how the experiment can be performed?

Edit: Do you actually mean using the pedulum experiement and do some algebraic manipulation to get the Inertia? But I tought that the period equation varies from object to objects due to difference in inertia.

Last edited:
Instead of typing it all out, I found this: http://www.eng.fsu.edu/dynamics1/inertia/inertia.doc

One note is that the initial displacement of the pendulum has to be relatively small (<15° or so) so that sinq = q.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, everything is now making more sense :smile:

1. What is the moment of inertia of a propeller?

The moment of inertia of a propeller is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the propeller and its shape.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a propeller calculated?

The moment of inertia of a propeller can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the propeller, and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important for propellers?

The moment of inertia is important for propellers because it affects their performance and stability. A propeller with a higher moment of inertia will require more energy to change its rotational motion, resulting in slower acceleration and deceleration.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the handling of a propeller-driven aircraft?

The moment of inertia can significantly impact the handling of a propeller-driven aircraft. A propeller with a high moment of inertia will require more force to change its rotational motion, making it more difficult for the pilot to control the aircraft's movements.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a propeller be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a propeller can be changed by altering its mass distribution or shape. For example, adding weight to the tips of the propeller blades can increase the moment of inertia, while reducing the weight can decrease it.