Proper continuous map is closed

In summary: CO_{\ep}(y)}$ implies $y \in \CO_{\ep}(y)$. Therefore, $y \in f(A)$, as desired. In summary, we have shown that for any limit point $y \in \closure{f(A)}$, we can find a corresponding point $x \in A$ such that $f(x) = y$, which means $\closure{f(A)} \subseteq f(A)$. Since $f(A) \subseteq \closure{f(A)}$ is always true, we have $\closure{f(A)} = f(A)$, and thus $f(A)$ is closed.
doodlepin

Homework Statement

Prove a proper continuous function from R to R is closed.

Homework Equations

proper functions have compact images corresponding to compact preimages, continuous functions have open images corresponding to open preimages, in R compact sets are closed and bounded

The Attempt at a Solution

I am writing in latex but I am bad at using latex on this forum:

Take a closed subset of X, $A\subset X$; we want to show $f(A)$ is closed. Consider a limit point of $f(A)$, $y\in\closure{f(A)}$, then $\forall$ $\ep >0$ there exists some $y_{i} \in f(A)\cap \CO_{\ep}(y)$, where $\CO_{\ep}(y)$ is the ball of radius $\ep$ centered on y. This creates a sequence of points, $\{y_i\}$, which converges to y. Since $y_{i} \in f(A)$, we know there exists some $x_{i} \in A$ such that $f(x_{i}) = y_{i}$.

Now consider $\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}$, the closure of some fixed epsilon ball around y. This is obviously a closed and bounded subset of $\BR$ and is therefore compact. Since $f$ is proper, we know that $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ is compact...

I know i could continue with some subsequence argument, but I want to stick to the open cover definition of compactness. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Great start on the proof! Here is how you can continue using the open cover definition of compactness:

Since $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ is compact, it can be covered by a finite number of open sets, say $\CO_{\ep}(x_1), \CO_{\ep}(x_2), ..., \CO_{\ep}(x_n)$, where $x_i \in f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ for all $i$. Now consider the open sets $U_i = \CO_{\ep}(x_i)$ for $i=1,2,...,n$. These sets cover $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ and since $f$ is continuous, their images $f(U_i) = \CO_{\ep}(y)$ are open in $\BR$. Thus, $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ is a finite union of open sets, which means it is open.

Since $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ is open, its complement $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})^c = f^{-1}(\CO_{\ep}(y)^c)$ is closed. But $f^{-1}(\CO_{\ep}(y)^c) = f^{-1}(\BR \setminus \closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}) = \BR \setminus f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$, so $f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ is closed.

Now, since $x_i \in f^{-1}(\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)})$ for all $i$, we know that $f(x_i) \in \closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}$ for all $i$. But $f(x_i) = y_i$, so we have shown that $y_i \in \closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}$ for all $i$. Since $\{y_i\}$ converges to $y$, this means $y \in \closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}$. But $\closure{\CO_{\ep}(y)}$ is closed, so $y \in \

1. What is a proper continuous map?

A proper continuous map is a function between two topological spaces that preserves the topological structure while also satisfying the property of being proper. This means that the inverse image of a compact set is always compact.

2. How is a proper continuous map different from a continuous map?

A continuous map only needs to preserve the topological structure, while a proper continuous map also needs to satisfy the property of being proper. This means that a continuous map may not necessarily be proper, but a proper continuous map is always continuous.

3. Why is it important for a proper continuous map to be closed?

A proper continuous map being closed is important because it ensures that the image of a closed set under the map is also closed. This is a desirable property in many applications, such as in topology and geometry.

4. Can a proper continuous map be open?

No, a proper continuous map cannot be open. This is because being open and being closed are complementary properties, and since a proper continuous map is closed, it cannot also be open.

5. How is the property of being proper useful in mathematics?

The property of being proper is useful in many areas of mathematics, including topology, geometry, and functional analysis. It allows for the preservation of important properties, such as compactness, and helps to simplify and generalize results in these fields.