Consequences of LT on Length and Photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the length of an object in different reference frames, particularly when the frame is moving at the speed of light. It also brings up the concept of a photon and the challenges of making a Lorentz transformation to its rest frame.
DougBTX2
Hi all,

If I have a length [itex]L_p[/itex] of an object which is at rest in my frame of reference, it will have length [itex]L = L_p (1 - \frac {V^2}{c^2})[/itex] in an inertial reference frame moving with speed [itex]V[/itex] relative to me. If this frame is following a photon at speed [itex]c[/itex], that makes [itex]L = 0[/itex].

If my object is the universe, it seems like my photon thinks it is everywhere at the same time, because the distance to anywhere in its IFR is zero. How does that work?

Douglas

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot make a LT to the rest frame of a photon.
A photon does not have a rest frame.
You have given some reasons why.

"LT" = "Lorentz transformation", by the way.

1. What is the proper length and how is it related to photons?

The proper length is the distance between two points in space that is measured by an observer who is at rest relative to those points. It is related to photons because the speed of light is constant and is used to define the proper length. Photons travel at the speed of light, and their wavelength is used to measure the proper length.

2. Can the proper length of an object change?

The proper length of an object is a fundamental property and does not change, even when the object is moving. However, the apparent length of the object may change for an observer who is in motion relative to the object, due to the effects of length contraction.

3. How does time dilation affect the measurement of proper length?

Time dilation, which is the slowing of time for an object in motion, does not affect the measurement of proper length. This is because the proper length is measured in one specific moment in time and is not affected by the object's motion.

4. Is the proper length the same for all observers?

Yes, the proper length is the same for all observers who are at rest relative to the object being measured. This is a fundamental property of the universe and is a key concept in the theory of relativity.

5. Can the proper length of an object be longer than its physical length?

No, the proper length of an object cannot be longer than its physical length. This is because the proper length is a fundamental property of the object and is always equal to or less than the physical length. If an object appears longer to an observer, it is due to the effects of length contraction.