Proper magnetic shielding of electric components while allowing signal propagation

• Thread starter lzh
  • Start date
lzh
So basically i have this powerful electromagnet that generates an electromagnetic field that can levitate another magnet and withhold a load of 12oz and still levitate:
levitron_globe.jpg

My problem is, I want to be able to use electronics and send wireless signals through this strong magnetic field. I can shield the electronics with a thin metal sheet but my wireless transmitter cannot have this protection, since it would essentially prevent radio transmission. Additionally, even if the transmitter can be allowed to transmit, the magnetic field would have some major interference on the data transmission(right?). So I was wondering if you guys know of any special way to shield the transmitter so that
1) the electronics shielded within this magnetic field wont fry
2) the signal gets transmitted

Is a faraday's shield even going to be effective in this situation? Should I consider Mu-metal instead? Or do a combination?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Is the magnetic field ac or dc? If it is dc, what electronic component do you expect to fail? If it is ac, what frequency is it, and how large is it (Gauss)? Are you sure the magnetic field will have an effect on the circuits? Have you tried it?

Bob S

lzh

I'm fairly sure that the magnetic field is dc, since it has an ac/dc adapter. I'm thinking of having a microcontroller and various sensors, as well as bluetooth and perhaps a wireless transmitting mini camera. These are all pretty barebone parts from sites like sparkfun, so I dont think that they will be safe from the magnetic field. And then of course there is the problem with the signal transmission.

I haven't tried all this yet since I'd like to seek some advice before I accidentally destroy something :/

thanks for the help