Finding a Bijective Correspondence between X^{\omega} and a Proper Subset

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bijective correspondence between the set of all infinite tuples with elements from a two element set X (denoted as X^{\omega}) and a proper subset of X^{\omega}. The question asks if X^{\omega - r} could be a proper subset, to which the response suggests using the set of tuples with 0 as the first element and shifting the coordinates "up by one" to create a proper subset.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Let X be the two element set [itex]\{ 0 , 1 \}[/itex]. Find a bijective correspondence between [itex]X^{\omega}[/itex] and a proper subset of itself.

Homework Equations

Notation. [itex]X^{\omega}[/itex] is the set of all (infinite) [itex]{\omega}-\mathrm{tuples}[/itex] [itex](x_1 , x_2 , x_3 , ...)[/itex], where [itex]x_i \in X[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the proper subset part...

I want to say in order to find any such bijection, I'll need to find another infinite proper subset of [itex]X^{\omega}[/itex]. My question is, does [itex]X^{\omega - r}[/itex], where [itex]r \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], constitute such a proper subset?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would you suggest [itex]X^{\omega-r}[/itex] means? How would it differ from [itex]X^\omega[/itex]?

It might help to think about the binary representation of numbers.

To help you, consider the set of all tuples

[tex](0,x_2,x_3,x_4,...)[/tex]

so the set of all tuples with 0 as first element. Try to use that set somewhere...

That makes sense! I let [itex]\alpha = \{ A \in \{0,1\}^{\omega} : A = (0, x_1, x_2 , ...) \} [/itex] and define [itex]f: \{0,1\}^{\omega} \rightarrow \alpha[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_1, x_2, ...) = (0, x_1, x_2, ...)[/itex], that is, the function that shifts each coordinate position of any [itex]\omega[/itex]-tuple in [itex]\{0,1\}^{\omega}[/itex] "up by one" to compensate for the zero in the first coordinate position after I put it through my function. Thanks!

What is a proper subset?

A proper subset is a set that contains some, but not all, of the elements of another set. In other words, all the elements of a proper subset are also elements of the larger set, but the proper subset does not contain all the elements that the larger set does.

How is a proper subset represented?

A proper subset is often represented using the symbol ⊂, which means "is a proper subset of". For example, if set A is a proper subset of set B, it would be written as A ⊂ B.

What is the difference between a proper subset and a subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set, while a proper subset only contains some of the elements. In other words, a proper subset is a subset, but a subset is not necessarily a proper subset.

Can a set be a proper subset of itself?

No, a set cannot be a proper subset of itself. In order for a set to be a proper subset, it must have at least one element that is not in the larger set. If a set is equal to the larger set, it is not considered a proper subset.

What is an example of a proper subset?

One example of a proper subset is the set of even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) as a proper subset of the set of integers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.). This is because all the elements of the set of even numbers are also elements of the set of integers, but the set of even numbers does not contain all the elements of the set of integers (it does not include odd numbers).