1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proper Time (Relativity)

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane flies with a constant velocity of 208 m/s. The clocks on the plane show that it takes exactly 2.00 hours to travel a certain distance. Calculate how much longer or shorter than 2.00 h this flight will last, according to clocks on the ground. ________s

2. Relevant equations

delta t = delta t(not) / (1-v^2/c^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Because the velocity of the plane is very low, I used the binomial expansion: delta t = delta t(not)*[1 + 1/2*[208m/s / 3x10^8 m/s]^2]. When I worked it out and solved for delta t, I got .999, which I then added to the 7200s ( 2 hours). I know that the time according to the ground clocks will be longer, but I think there's a math error somewhere which is preventing me from understanding and getting the answer. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are delta(t) and delta(t0) (nought not not) supposed to mean? Get rid of the deltas in that formula and realize delta(t)=t-t0. And you won't get .999 unless your calculator only has three digits of precision.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?