1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proper velocity

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \mathbf{\eta} = 1/ \sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2} \mathbf{u} [/tex] represents the proper velocity in terms of the ordinary velocity. Find vector u in terms of vector eta.

Then find the relation between proper velocity and rapidity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Scalar u is the magnitude of the vector u, so I cannot just bring the denominator to the other side, right? Do I have to get scalar eta in terms of scalar u?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other way round. Find scalar u in terms of scalar eta.

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    Yes. That is what I meant. Those velocity magnitude's so I am not sure how to do that...

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that both [itex] \mathbf{u} [/itex] and [itex] \mathbf{\eta} [/itex] are ordinary vectors in R^{3} in which the norm of a vector is given by a scalar product. So compute [itex] \left \langle \mathbf{\eta},\mathbf{\eta}\right\rangle [/itex].

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5
    [itex] \left \langle \mathbf{\eta},\mathbf{\eta}\right\rangle = \eta_x^2 + \eta_y^2 + \eta_z^2[/itex]

But we have

[tex] \sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2} \mathbf{\eta} = \mathbf{u} [/tex] so how do you get that scalar u in terms of the scalar eta?

Let me check my understanding of what u and eta are. The usage of these two terms implicitly uses an inertial reference frame S and an object in motion with respect to S. vector u is the displacement measured in S per unit time measured in S and vector eta is the displacement measured in S per unit time measured by a clock attached to our object. All good?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  7. Aug 29, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\left\langle \vec{\eta},\vec{\eta}\right\rangle =\left\langle \vec{u},\vec{u}\right\rangle \frac{1}{1-\frac{u^{2}}{c^{2}}}\Rightarrow \eta ^{2}=\frac{u^{2}}{1-\frac{u^{2}}{c^{2}}}\Rightarrow u^{2}=\frac{\eta ^{2}}{1+\frac{\eta ^{2}}{c^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\eta}=\vec{u}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}}{c^{2}}}}\Rightarrow \vec{u}=\vec{\eta}\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}\left(\eta \right)}{c^{2}}}=\vec{\eta}\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\eta ^{2}}{1+\frac{\eta ^{2}}{c^{2}}}}=\vec{\eta}\frac{c}{\sqrt{c^{2}+\eta ^{2}}} [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. Aug 29, 2007 #7
    Thanks. But is that paragraph I wrote correct? I am very confused about proper velocity. It is supposedly proper distance divided by proper time. But what is proper distance? Isn't the distance an object moves in a reference frame attached to it always 0?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  9. Aug 30, 2007 #8
    Let me check my understanding of what u and eta are. The usage of these two terms implicitly uses an inertial reference frame S and an object in motion with respect to S. vector u is the displacement measured in S per unit time measured in S and vector eta is the displacement measured in S per unit time measured by a clock attached to our object. All good?

I think I got it. Also, is the relation between proper velocity and rapidity the following:

tanh theta = eta/ sqrt(c^2 + eta^2)

?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?