Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of CsF and NaF

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    Hello, I am doing a grade 12 chemistry course, through independent learning and I am stuck on a question... its probably simple and my mind just doesnt want to work.. so hopefully someone could help me out.

I am given the info that NaF has a solubility of 0.042 kg/kg H20 at 25 C and a melting point of 988 C.
    And that CsF has a solubility of 3.67 kg/kg H20 at 25 C and a melting point of 682 C.
    So what would be the difference between the properties of CsF and NaF???

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2
    NaF having a smaller radius could account for its higher boiling point. If an atom has a smaller radius, that means the elements are closer together, so more heat is needed to seperate them.

4. May 15, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did u check whether the crystalization system is the same...?As for solubility,it has to do both with the length of the bonding and with the system of crystalization.

Danie.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    Because CsF has a lower melting point and higher solubility than NaF, it means that the CsF bond is weaker than the NaF bond. This makes sense since the bond length for NaF is longer than CsF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?