1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of determinants

1. May 20, 2012 #1

sharks

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the properties of the determinant of a matrix to show that[tex]\begin{vmatrix}1+x^2 & x & 1 \\ 1+y^2 & y & 1 \\ 1+z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}=(x-y)(x-z)(y-z)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Properties of determinants. There's 10 of them, according to my notes.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the property where the scalar multiple of -1 of the third column added to the first column gives:[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x^2 & x & 1 \\ y^2 & y & 1 \\ z^2 & z & 1\end{vmatrix}[/tex]
    And then i'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you get when you expand [itex](x-y)(x-z)(y-z)\ ?[/itex]

4. May 20, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

Hi SammyS
    The expansion gives: [tex]x^2y-xy^2-2xyz+y^2z-x^2z-xz^2-yz^2[/tex]But i'm not sure how to relate this to the determinant.

I grouped the squared terms, as it seemed to me that they formed the cofactor expansion by the first column of the determinant:
    [tex]x^2(y-z) -y^2(x-z) -z^2 (x+y) -2xyz[/tex]But it's different, as the actual cofactor expansion is: [tex]x^2(y-z) -y^2(x-z) +z^2 (x-y)[/tex]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. May 20, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite right.

There's a xyz and a -xyz which cancel .

6. May 20, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

You are correct. :redface: So, to write the solution, meaning how i got to the product of the 3 factors, i just trace back my steps from the factors' expansion.

Thanks, SammyS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook