What is the Determinant of a 2x2 Matrix Multiplied by its Adjoint Inverse?

In summary, the determinant of (2A * adj(A)^-1) when A is a 2x2 matrix can be solved by first separating it into det(2A) * det(1/adj(A)), then simplifying to 4 det(A) * det(1/adj(A)), and finally using the fact that adj(A) = det(A) * A^-1 to get 4 det(A) * det(A/det(A)). This simplifies to 4 det(A)^2 * det(1/det(A)), but since the determinant of a number is just that number, it becomes 4 det(A)^2 * (1/det(A))^2 = 4/det(A).
Temp0

Homework Statement

If A is a 2x2 matrix, then det (2A * adj(A)^-1) = ?

Homework Equations

Adj(A)A = det(A)I

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I separated them so it became det(2A) * det (1/ adj(A))
Then taking the 2 out, and it becomes 2^2, so 4 det(A) * det(1/ adj(A))
adj(A) = det(A) * A^-1, rearranged from the equation above.
So: 4 det(A) * det (A/det(A)), and I get stuck at around here, because I end with
4 det(A) ^2 * det (1/det(A)), however I don't know what the determinant of the determinant of A is. Could someone clarify this for me? thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Temp0 said:

Homework Statement

If A is a 2x2 matrix, then det (2A * adj(A)^-1) = ?

Homework Equations

Adj(A)A = det(A)I

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I separated them so it became det(2A) * det (1/ adj(A))
Then taking the 2 out, and it becomes 2^2, so 4 det(A) * det(1/ adj(A))
adj(A) = det(A) * A^-1, rearranged from the equation above.
So: 4 det(A) * det (A/det(A)), and I get stuck at around here, because I end with
4 det(A) ^2 * det (1/det(A)), however I don't know what the determinant of the determinant of A is. Could someone clarify this for me? thank you in advance.

If it's a 2x2 matrix then det(I/det(A))=1/det(A)^2, yes?

The determinant of A is just a number, like 2 was. :smile:

Ohhhh! This was actually really helpful to another question I had... so if it was a 3x3 matrix, the det(1+2detA) where detA = 2 would become det(5), and since the matrix is 3x3, det5 becomes 5^3 = 125?

Oh one more thing, it would be the exact same as in (1+2detA)^3

Last edited:
Temp0 said:
... so if it was a 3x3 matrix, the det(1+2detA) where detA = 2 would become det(5), and since the matrix is 3x3, det5 becomes 5^3 = 125?

Hmm, not precisely. 1 + 2det(A) is a number, not a matrix, so its determinant would have to be itself, if we identified it as a 1x1 matrix. If you had to compute det((1 + 2det(A))*A) = det(5*A) where A is a 3x3 matrix, then you would get (5^3)*det(A), through the usual theorem on computing the determinant of a matrix multiplied by a number.

slider142 said:
Hmm, not precisely. 1 + 2det(A) is a number, not a matrix, so its determinant would have to be itself, if we identified it as a 1x1 matrix. If you had to compute det((1 + 2det(A))*A) = det(5*A) where A is a 3x3 matrix, then you would get (5^3)*det(A), through the usual theorem on computing the determinant of a matrix multiplied by a number.

I see, oh I wrote it wrong, I meant the question was det (((1 +2det(A))* I), would it be considered a coefficient of I in this case and become 5^3 det(I)?

Temp0 said:
I see, oh I wrote it wrong, I meant the question was det (((1 +2det(A))* I), would it be considered a coefficient of I in this case and become 5^3 det(I)?

Yes, that's it. And I'm sure you know what det(I) is.

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is used to determine various properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method. The specific method used will depend on the size and structure of the matrix.

3. What are the properties of determinants?

Some of the key properties of determinants include:

• The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues.
  • The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its diagonal entries.
  • Swapping two rows or columns in a matrix changes the sign of the determinant.
  • Multiplying a row or column by a constant multiplies the determinant by the same constant.

4. How are determinants useful in solving systems of equations?

Determinants can be used to determine whether a system of linear equations has a unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. This is done by setting up the system of equations as a matrix and calculating its determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the system has a unique solution. If the determinant is zero, then the system may have no solution or infinitely many solutions.

5. Can determinants be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative if the matrix has an odd number of negative eigenvalues. However, the absolute value of the determinant is what is typically used in calculations, so the negative sign does not affect the final result.