1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Dot Product

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data 3. The attempt at a solution

I am working a physics problem and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake in the math. Here is my math inquiry:

Say you have (a*b)(c*d) where * indicates the dot product, and a,b,c, and d are all vectors. Can you say that (a*b)(c*d) = (a*c)(b*d) since the dot product is commutative and gives you a scalar? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You can't. Neither of those properties says you can swap vectors between two different dot products.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    If you're ever unsure of these things, always try to find a counterexample. Take a = [1,0], b = [1,0], c = [1,1] and d = [1,2]. Then,

(a*b)(c*d) = (1)(1 + 2) = 3

but

(a*c)(b*d) = (1)(1) = 1

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    Sorry, accidentally double posted.

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5
    Darn- it made the problem so easy, but I guess that was a sign that I was probably doing something that I should not be doing. Thank you for explaining why I could not shuffle the vectors around. :)

I did try an example, however it worked out. But I guess it wasn't that good of an example since it was a fluke that it worked out. Thanks

7. Feb 17, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, as others have already pointed out.

You can see this another way: a*b = |a||b| cos(a,b) and c*d = |c||d|cos(c,d), where |a|, |b| are the magnitudes of a and b and (a,b) is the angle between a and b, and similarly for c and d. In general, we do not have cos(a,c).cos(b,d) equal to cos(a,b).cos(c,d), so the two expressions are generally different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook