Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of finite groups

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Assume G is a finite group and [tex]H = \left\{ {g \in G|g^n = e} \right\}[/tex] for any [tex]n>0[/tex]. e is identity.
    I have been able to show that if G is cyclic, then H has at most n elements.
    However, I can't go the other way. That is, assuming H has at most n elements, I haven't been able to say anything about whether G is cyclic, abelian or neither.
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you add an element to G without adding an element to H?

4. May 4, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at D_3=S_3 the nonabelian group of order 6. How many elements of order 3 does it have?

5. May 4, 2005 #4
    Since G is a finite group, then every element in G must equal identity for some n. That means that for some n the element must be added to H. So I think the answer is no. But I can't make any connection to my problem.

If I haven't made any mistakes, it has 2 elements of order 3 and 3 elements of order 2. But that means that H has 3 elements for n=2 (which does not agree with the assumption that H has at most n elements), doesn't it?

I'm quite confused now...

6. May 4, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to be treating n as both a constant and a variable -- that might be the source of confusion.

7. May 4, 2005 #6
    I don't mean to treat n as a variable, only as an unknown constant. Where do I treat it as a variable?

8. May 4, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Since G is a finite group, then every element in G must equal identity for some n. That means that for some n the element must be added to H."

9. May 4, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S_3 is a group that has fewer than 3 elements of order 3. How does that not prove useful unless you're being odd about n: at least quantify it: there exists an n, or "for all n".

It apparently seems you wish it to be "for all n", which you didn't bother to specify.

10. May 4, 2005 #9
    But a certain value of n defines a certain H, so I have to consider the different values n can take.

What I mean is for any n.

11. May 4, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, what you want to prove (or disprove) is that if:

For all n > 0, Hn has no more than n elements

Then G is cyclic?

12. May 4, 2005 #11
    Yes, and if it's not cyclic: Is it "at least" abelian?

I'm sorry about the poor specification.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  13. May 4, 2005 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

try the direct sum of the cyclic groups of orders 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29. and look for elements of order 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?