1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Friction

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Body A weighs 110 N, and body B weighs 37 N. The coefficients of friction between A and the incline are μs = 0.56 and μk = 0.25. Angle θ is 40°. Let the positive direction of an x axis be up the incline.

(a). Find the acceleration of A if A is initially at rest.
    (........ m/s^2) i

(b). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving up the incline.
    (.........m/s^2) i

(c). Find the acceleration of A if A is moving down the incline.
    (.........m/s^2) i

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am not really sure how to solve this problem at all. I have tried a few ways, none have come up with reasonable or correct answers.

I tried using...

FT = mA * g * sin(theta) - fk

where fk = mewk * FN
    and setting FN = g * a

I then solved for a and came out with 134 but that was wrong and didn't make sense.

I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help me out? That would be awsome.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    So I got part (a). which is 0. I don't know why I didn't try that before. I feel stupid. But parts (b). and (c). I am still not sure about.
  4. Feb 16, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This problem makes no sense. Either the block A is at rest, or it moves up the plane, or moves down the plane. It can't do all three!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook