1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Properties of Galois Extensions

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose F -- K is a Galois extension and f(x) in F[x] is an irreducible
    polynomial that has a root in K. Show that f(x) factors into a product
    of linear factors in K[x].

2. Relevant equations
    I read on Wolfram this fact is equivalent to being a Galois extension, but I am drawing a complete blank on how to show that.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Idea 1:
    I know that if K is an extension of F and f(x) is a polynomial with coefficients in F that any F-automorphism of K will map roots on f(x) to another roots of f(x). Now I know at least one root of f(x) is in K; so the image of that root under any F-automorphism will also be in K and will also be a root of f(x)

Idea 2:
    I also know I can build a tower of fields by adjoining the element a st f(a)=0 to obtain
    F -- F(a) -- K
    Because the root a must be in K so that field F(a) must sit between F and K. Since F -- K is a Galois extension and F(a) is an intermediate field I know F(a) -- K must be a Galois extension as well

Idea 3:
    I also know since K is an extension of F and it is Galois that then it is the splitting field for some polynomial in F[x].

I just need some way to bring these ideas together (or take one all the way). I feel like I am half way there in bunch a different ways, but I am just blanking of finishing the proof.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted