1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Inner Product

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Hey guys I'm new here and I've been using MathType for all on-screen math. For some reason PF doesn't recognize the built-in Dirac's bra-ket notation. (i.e. <[itex]\psi[/itex]|) So I've included my equations and solution in the format of images, hopefully it isn't a problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Proof that
    attachment.php?attachmentid=71615&stc=1&d=1406259782.gif

2. Relevant equations
    All other properties of inner product.

3. The attempt at a solution
    attachment.php?attachmentid=71616&stc=1&d=1406259905.gif

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2014 #2
    Sorry I just realized a typo in my solution, but it doesn't affect the result:
    The typo is at where I said: "Then I moved on to the right side:"
    [tex]\alpha^*=6-5i
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \beta=1+i
    [/tex]
    The beta should have a complex conjugate symbol (*):
    [tex]
    \beta^*=1+i
    [/tex]

4. Jul 26, 2014 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your initial calculation of [itex]< \alpha \omega |[/itex], the middle term is wrong. I haven't checked over your math any further than that and the [itex]< \beta \omega |[/itex] calculation.

p.s. Moderator's note: I am moving this to Advanced Physics -- it doesn't really look like Introductory level physics to me, which we consider to be through (U.S.) college sophomore level.

p.p.s. In LaTeX, simply typing "<", "|", and ">" for bras and kets seems to work okay, but not great.

5. Jul 26, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As another [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] option is to use the /langle and /rangle together with "|" to do Dirac bra-ket notation.

For example,
    Code (Text):
    [tex] \langle x | y \rangle [/tex]
    yields
    [tex] \langle x | y \rangle [/tex]

[Edit: I still can't get them to scale up automatically though, in case the things in the bras and kets are larger and more complicated.]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted