Properties of Inverse Matrix

In summary: For A and B, you are correct. Can you figure out what the inverse is?For C, consider these matrices:Both A and B are invertible (clearly, I hope). Is their sum invertible?For the others, try expanding what's on the left side of the given equation, and see if you get what's on the right side.Your book should have some properties or theorems of invertible matrices.Still having trouble. B is true. C is false. D is false after expanding. Don't know how to expand e and f.For E you have "(A+A^−1)^8=A8+A−8"Should the right side be A
mshiddensecret

Homework Statement

Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nhttp://msr02.math.mcgill.ca/webwork2_files/jsMath/fonts/cmsy10/alpha/144/char02.png n matrices A andB

A. 7A is invertible
B. ABA^−1=B
C. A+B is invertible
D. (A+B)2=A2+B2+2AB
E. (A+A^−1)^8=A8+A−8
F. (ABA^−1)^3=AB3A−1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think 1 should be true and c should be true. Those are for certain. The rest, I don't know how.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mshiddensecret said:

Homework Statement

Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nhttp://msr02.math.mcgill.ca/webwork2_files/jsMath/fonts/cmsy10/alpha/144/char02.png n matrices A andB

A. 7A is invertible
B. ABA^−1=B
C. A+B is invertible
D. (A+B)2=A2+B2+2AB
E. (A+A^−1)^8=A8+A−8
F. (ABA^−1)^3=AB3A−1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think 1 should be true and c should be true. Those are for certain. The rest, I don't know how.
Your efforts just barely qualify as an attempt at a solution...

For A (not 1), you are correct. Can you figure out what the inverse is?
For C, consider these matrices:
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}$$
$$B = \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{bmatrix}$$
Both A and B are invertible (clearly, I hope). Is their sum invertible?

For the others, try expanding what's on the left side of the given equation, and see if you get what's on the right side.

Your book should have some properties or theorems of invertible matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still having trouble. B is true. C is false. D is false after expanding. Don't know how to expand e and f.

For E you have "(A+A^−1)^8=A8+A−8"
Should the right side be A8 + A-8?
At the very least, use ^ to indicate exponents.

For E, how do you expand a binomial?
For F, what properties do you know of to help with expanding ABA-1 to the third power?

So after like 100x, I finally got the answer. Turns out A and F are the only true ones. I don't understand why though.

mshiddensecret said:
So after like 100x, I finally got the answer. Turns out A and F are the only true ones. I don't understand why though.
Several of the problems test your understanding of matrix multiplication. In particular, that multiplication isn't commutative, so in general, AB ##\neq## BA.

1. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied with another square matrix, produces the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. How do you find the inverse matrix of a given matrix?

To find the inverse matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method. Both methods involve a series of mathematical operations, such as row operations and calculating determinants.

3. What are the properties of an inverse matrix?

There are several properties of an inverse matrix, including the fact that the inverse of an inverse matrix is the original matrix, and the inverse of a product of matrices is the product of the inverses in reverse order.

4. Can all matrices have an inverse?

No, not all matrices have an inverse. For a matrix to have an inverse, it must be a square matrix (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the significance of inverse matrices in mathematics and science?

Inverse matrices are important in various fields of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of equations, find solutions to optimization problems, and perform transformations in geometry.