Why is Total Air Pressure Constant in the Study of Properties of Moist Air?

In summary, in the study of properties of moist air, we assume the total air pressure (dry air + water vapour) to be constant, even when it is being heated or cooled. This is because in an open system, like air being cooled by an air conditioner or flowing through a duct, the pressure variations are small and quickly compensated due to the speed of sound.
ajay jadaun
Why we assume total air pressure
(dry air +water vapour) to be constant during study of properties of moist air even when it is being heated or cooled how it is possible that pressure is constant , on what basis it is assumed?

I think locally there must be variation in total pressure also due to effect of heating , cooling ,humidification and dehumidification

Please someone clarify this in detail .

Engineering news on Phys.org
ajay jadaun said:
Why we assume total air pressure
(dry air +water vapour) to be constant during study of properties of moist air even when it is being heated or cooled how it is possible that pressure is constant , on what basis it is assumed?

I think locally there must be variation in total pressure also due to effect of heating , cooling ,humidification and dehumidification

Please someone clarify this in detail .
Are you referring to a closed system?

@Chestermiller

Basically i am referring to open system as generally almost all thermodyanamic interaction to air is more or less in open system .
Kindly clarify further

Why do you feel that the pressure is not constant, if the system is in open contact with the atmosphere?

@Chestermiller
There are two cases for my doubt
1. Since air is being heated or cooled , let's say by air conditioner coil in a room ,i feel locally there must be change in pressure .
2.For large centralised air conditioning systems air flows through a long duct isn't it a case of pressurised air i.e air is not in direct contact of atmosphere

ajay jadaun said:
@Chestermiller
There are two cases for my doubt
1. Since air is being heated or cooled , let's say by air conditioner coil in a room ,i feel locally there must be change in pressure .
2.For large centralised air conditioning systems air flows through a long duct isn't it a case of pressurised air i.e air is not in direct contact of atmosphere
Flowing through a duct, there are going to be pressure variations. Heating and cooling in contact with the atmosphere, there are going to be small pressure variations, but, these can't be very large since pressure variations travel with the speed of sound, so they are rapidly compensated.

Likes ajay jadaun
Chestermiller said:
Flowing through a duct, there are going to be pressure variations. Heating and cooling in contact with the atmosphere, there are going to be small pressure variations, but, these can't be very large since pressure variations travel with the speed of sound, so they are rapidly compensated.
Thanks i got it

1. Why is total air pressure constant in the study of properties of moist air?

In the study of properties of moist air, the total air pressure is constant because it is the sum of the partial pressures of dry air and water vapor. This means that as the amount of water vapor in the air increases, the partial pressure of water vapor increases while the partial pressure of dry air decreases, keeping the total air pressure constant.

2. How does the constant total air pressure affect the properties of moist air?

The constant total air pressure in the study of properties of moist air is important because it allows us to accurately measure and understand other properties of the air, such as temperature and density. Without a constant total air pressure, these properties would be difficult to measure and compare.

3. What is the role of partial pressure in the study of properties of moist air?

Partial pressure is a crucial concept in the study of properties of moist air because it helps us understand the behavior of individual components, such as dry air and water vapor, within the larger system of moist air. By considering the partial pressures of each component, we can better understand how they interact and contribute to the overall properties of the air.

4. How does humidity affect the constant total air pressure in the study of properties of moist air?

Humidity, or the amount of water vapor in the air, has a direct impact on the constant total air pressure in the study of properties of moist air. As the humidity increases, the partial pressure of water vapor increases while the partial pressure of dry air decreases, maintaining the constant total air pressure. This also means that the properties of the air, such as temperature and density, will change as a result of changes in humidity.

5. Are there any exceptions to the constant total air pressure in the study of properties of moist air?

While the constant total air pressure is a general rule in the study of properties of moist air, there are some exceptions. For example, at very high altitudes, the partial pressure of water vapor may be negligible compared to the partial pressure of dry air, resulting in a lower total air pressure. Additionally, if other gases, such as carbon dioxide, are present in the air, they may also contribute to the total air pressure in addition to dry air and water vapor.