1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Properties of Ocean waves

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fisherman notices that his boat is moving up and down periodically, owing to waves on the surface of the water. It takes a time of 3.00 second for the boat to travel from its highest point to its lowest, a total distance of 0.690 meter . The fisherman sees that the wave crests are spaced a horizontal distance of 6.50 meter apart.

What is the amplitude of each wave?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If the maximum displacement is .690 wouldnt that be my amplitude of each wave, just need total understanding on this since, i read in my text its the total displacement of the crest and the total displacements of the trough.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi sphouxay, welcome to PF.

Please include units in all of your statements, otherwise they are meaningless.

The amplitude of a wave is indeed its maximum displacement from the equilibrium position in either direction. So, in this context, it is the height of a peak or the depth of a trough above or below the water's surface. Careful though. That is not quite the same as the "0.690" stated in the problem.

Mathematically if a wave is described by A*sin(phase), then A is the amplitude, and the disturbance will oscillate between +A and -A.

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    so are you saying the amplitude is 0.690/2, which is .345 meters

5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is what I am saying.

6. Jan 5, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Boat doesn't move just up and down, it rather makes circles or ellipses (depending on the water depth, I believe these are circles when the depth is large enough to be treated as infinite). So the total distance is half of the circle, which means amplitude is smaller.

But I doubt question is that tricky.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wave_motion-i18n-mod.svg

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook