1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Poisson Distribution

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Poisson distribution W=(λ^n/n!)*e^-λ to calculate <n>

2. Relevant equations
    <n>=ƩW*n

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since W = (λ^n/n!)*e^-λ I wind up with <n>=[(λ^n/n!)*e^-λ]*n
    But I really don't know where to go from here. Should I do a Taylor Series. I've tried crossing out the top n and ended up with

[(λ^n/(n-1)!)*e^-λ] but this doesn't seem to help. If anyone can point me in the right direction or a general problem solving strategy that would be great. I'd like to demonstrate more work but I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Evaluate the generating function
    [tex]Z(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} W(n) \exp(-n x).[/tex]
    Then you can get expectation values by taking derivatives of this function wrt. [itex]x[/itex] :-).

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need the summation.
    $$\langle n \rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\lambda^n}{n!} e^{-\lambda} n = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\lambda^n}{(n-1)!} e^{-\lambda}$$ Note that the lower limit changed from n=0 to n=1, since the n=0 term is 0. You just need to recognize that ##e^{-\lambda}## is a constant, so you can factor it out of the summation. Similarly, try pulling one factor of ##\lambda## out so that the exponent of ##\lambda## inside the summation matches up with the factorial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted