Properties of Rifle Sound

• Thread starter tdk
  • Start date
tdk

Homework Statement

"A rifle is fired in a valley with parallel vertical walls. The echo from one wall is heard 2.0 s after the rifle was fired. The echo from the other wall is heard 2.0 s after the first echo. How wide is the valley?

Homework Equations

I dont know any relevant equations. v=wavelength x frequency? Do I have to convert something into decibels?

The Attempt at a Solution

time=2 s
distance=?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

No nothing that cpplex--just that the speed of sound is 340meters/sec. Hint: to avoid simple errors, draw a picture of the reflecting sound waves so as to include all the distances.

tdk
But I dont understand how you apply the speed of sound to the problem. Do you multiply it by 2?.

know leave the speed alone and as i suggested draw a diagram. In this case, try to isolate the time requires for sound to span the valley. Hint its 1/2 the sum...

tdk
alright pugfug, I told you I unclicked the "Automatically parse links in text" and thats why the link wasnt clickable anymore. And now everytime I post I unclick it so it doesnt come up as a link. Do you understand that? I dont get why I cant post here if the link isnt even clickable, whats the harm?

Thanks Denverdoc I'll try that.