1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Sound

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A rifle is fired in a valley with parallel vertical walls. The echo from one wall is heard 2.0 s after the rifle was fired. The echo from the other wall is heard 2.0 s after the first echo. How wide is the valley?

2. Relevant equations

I dont know any relevant equations. v=wavelength x frequency? Do I have to convert something into decibels?

3. The attempt at a solution

time=2 s
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2
    No nothing that cpplex--just that the speed of sound is 340meters/sec. Hint: to avoid simple errors, draw a picture of the reflecting sound waves so as to include all the distances.
  4. Mar 15, 2007 #3

But I dont understand how you apply the speed of sound to the problem. Do you multiply it by 2?.
  5. Mar 15, 2007 #4
    know leave the speed alone and as i suggested draw a diagram. In this case, try to isolate the time requires for sound to span the valley. Hint its 1/2 the sum...
  6. Mar 15, 2007 #5

alright pugfug, I told you I unclicked the "Automatically parse links in text" and thats why the link wasnt clickable anymore. And now everytime I post I unclick it so it doesnt come up as a link. Do you understand that? I dont get why I cant post here if the link isnt even clickable, whats the harm?

Thanks Denverdoc I'll try that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?